Graybeard Outdoors banner

M-92 .454 casull

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Jacko 
#1 ·
Looking at a new 92 in 454casull for 480.00. I shoot a 444 and 45-70 already how is the recoil compaired to them,and how do they hold up to a lot of shooting ? And it seems I heard that you can shoot 45 colt out of them? Thanks

#2 ·
I have 2 of 'em, 20 in blued and stainless with 16 in barrel.  45 colt is like a 45 "special" to the 454, but mine are loaded pretty warm.  I think the recoil is less than my 444's or my 45-70.  I really like the 454's, just got the stainless this summer, have had the blued one over a year.  I think you will really like it if you get it, and 480.00 is a good price for this part of the country.  They are great little "thumpers".  DP

#3 ·
Picked up my new to me 454 casull puma today it is like new condition,got it for 480.00 w/ a box of 260 gr.magtec 454 out the door, dont know if that was a good price or not but once I picked it up I had to have it.It did not come with a owners man. but I have one for my .44mag. puma,on the mag tube it looks like it could be tube fed. On the end of the tube it has a round piece that is kurled it looks like you could unscrue and pull the mag tube out so you could load from the tube, but I cant get to budge puma web sight has man. but all of them show the plug and screw type. Anybody have the new puma 454 ? Takeing to the range tomorrow will see how she shoot's.

#4 ·
My stainless was hard to get unscrewed the first time, hasn't been so hard after. I don't unscrew very often, the rounds feed thru the gate fine. DP

#6 ·
I have the 20" blue Puma 454, used it on a large mountain lion,(185#) and the same ammo you mentioned, the 260 gr Magtec. First shot (treed) through both lungs, and as the houndsman was nervous, he urged me to shoot it again (no real need), second shot hit it in ham, recovered the bullet fully mushroomed under the chin of the dead cat.. went through full length of the cat.. I was impressed to say the least.. Les

#7 ·
Les Staley
I've had mine for about 3 years now. Still as tight as the day I bought it! Probably got 1000 rounds through it! Mostly stout loads. My favorite loads is : 240 gr XTP-MAG at 2300+ fps! Of 300 gr WFN GC at 1998 fps! Or a real thumper 325gr at 1875 FPS! It's a thumper on both ends and is the small brother of the 45-70! ;D

#8 ·
454Puma: I have shot mine very little.. sighted it in and hunted lion that one winter with it.. thought about takeing it to Hawaii for a boar/morino ram hunt on Niihau, but decided on the stainless 44 mag Puma instead, worried about the blue rifle in marine salt air.. 44 mag worked great on those critters.. killed two rams and three boars in one day of hunting.. I'll play with mine some more after I retire.. Les

#12 ·
My Rossi though only a .357 is d & t for a Tang sight which after much agonising turned out a preferable option to a scout mount scope for me . I did buy an Electrodot sight but could not bring myself to scout mount it on my 92 .

regards Jacko

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.