Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used M1 Garands and 03Springfields in our local Garand Matches, and they work fine.

I had the recent opportunity to pick up an M1 Carbine, Other than collecting I really dont't have a use for one, and I was wondering how they would do in a Garand Match, where they are also legal to use.

I am not looking to poking out the X-ring, but I would like to be able to keep them in the black.

Has anyone used one? Will they be able to keep a 3 inch group at 100 yards and a 6 inch group at 200 yards?

Also, how would they stand up for a home defense gun?

·
Registered
324 Posts
A good carbine will shoot into 4in. at 200yd. if you do your part. Factory soft-point ammo will work for home defense . I would be a little conserned about over-penatration though.
And what if you miss ??
In an country setting it's not a prob.
Just things to consider.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Deerhunter,

I used a M1 Carbine in the Garand Match at Camp Perry this past August, and I have also shot it in other Garand matches. It's a lot of fun to shoot and certainly legal for Garand matches.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
i doubt the sights have enough adjustment for 600yds. and i doubt the .30 carbine round could even keep all 10 rds on the 600 yd target

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Sharon,

The Garand Matches at my local club are shot at both 100 and 200 yards. I think they are 200 at Camp Perry too, but I have never been there to be sure.

I have been getting 4" groups at 100 yards with Winchester white box ammo. I havent tried reloading for it yet, but I am going to.

I found that my son likes shooting it best because my 03A3 and my M1 Garand are too big for him.

You should try one, they are a lot of fun. Its like shooting a Ruger 10/22 thats loud! :)

Jim.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Deerhunter. the carbine does look like fun. but for now i will stick with my AR-15

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.