Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I am more of a meat cleaver fan myself... I have a assortment of knives used for butchering and store bought meat finish butchering.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Went through the list. 800 bucks for a small piece of steel is insane...

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Bob;

For years, along with my smithing, I sold cutlery on a personal, one on one basis..with regular, repeat customers..

Now, let me illustrate a "grandpa story".. I know a man who owns and proudly shows off his Rolex watch at every opportunity. One day I asked him,
"What time is it , Charles?"; to which he replied.."it is 4:32 PM.". I had to reply.."funny, my Timex has the same time!"

If you want quality cutlery, with top quality steel, you need not go further than Russell~Green River, AKA (Dexter~Russell).

https://www.restaurantsupply.com/dexter-russell-knife-sets?keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxODCxon95wIVhJ-zCh0bfw5yEAAYAiAAEgI3oPD_BwE

They are an old company (circa 1834) and was the knives the mountain men sought. In fact, whenever if a trapper showed up with a new knife,

a frequent question was... "Is it up to Green River?" (meaning Green River standards)..

At least that is how it was in the late 1990s, when I dropped my cutlery sales.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I have a dexter cleaver over my sink...

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Went through the list. 800 bucks for a small piece of steel is insane...
I checked a few sites that deal with cutlery and most had the same opinion.
Now a knife made out of a rasp should hold its edge for quite a bit, but then a cheap knife sharpener will not work either.
Still not worth a fourth of the price she wants and it is made by a woman raised in a family in that business.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts

Bob, is a fellow elder along with me, in our church..and is VP of Ontario Knife. He and his wife Sally..have many years with the company. Hand either one a knife to look over, and they both make the same move..first off. Can you guess what that is?

They will take the knife, raise the handle to their master eye, and stare down the length of the blade, as we do when we sight down the barrel of a rifle.

I guess the straightness gives them an indication of the quality..

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
I will just have to be happy with my old hickory I guess no more than I butcher they work just fine

Deaconllb

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
I will just have to be happy with my old hickory I guess no more than I butcher they work just fine

Deaconllb
Deacon; Your Old Hickory knives are fine..they are of course an Ontario product. Nothing exotic, just #1095 carbon steel, and built for many decades by an old, reliable company..

Perhaps not as pretty as the high carbon stainless designer models..but still a very serviceable product. Probably closer to the mountain man's Green River,

than the Green Rivers of today, since there was no stainless steel back in 1834..

Ontario makes some very high quality knives, and in a number of categories. If anyone for instance, wants a tactical/survival type knife,

they could not do better than Ontario's Spec Plus line. Last I knew, Ontario was the only one, the Marines would accept their bayonets from.

http://ontarioknife.com/

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I buy Rada cutlery. Made in the USA and they stand behind their warranty.

·
24,482 Posts
I bought a set of those fancy ceramic knives from Japan. They were not cheap but still very overrated.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
All my old Hickory knives we bought at yard sales for a buck or two most showed little or no use I have one in my knife block that I use at least once or twice a day I have seen on some of the woodsman type magazines where fellows are buying them and making a sheath and using as a hunting knife. Yes they can be beat but what knife on the market today has a longer history of service there is a reason they are good and not a lot of hype on advertising. I need to take a brake and go gas up the truck down to $ 1.70 in my area.

Deaconllb.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
In doing a search on old Hickory knives I found that MidwayUSA has the complete line of Old Hickory knives and at a discounted price may have to break down and by one their skinner looks good although I have had nothing to shin in a couple years.

Deaconllb

·
9,530 Posts
I have a large German Chef's knife a former son-in-law gave me. Great steel, very hard, but the knife is heavy.

So I have found that my general purpose, go to chef's knife is an Old Hickory. The butcher knife in my block is an Old Hickory also. The steel in them is softer and may lose it's edge faster than the German knife, but a few strokes on a ceramic rod brings the edge back to a razor like condition. I put a 17 degree bevel on all my kitchen knives BTW.

Now, for the heavy work I have the Brazilian mini-machete seen in my avatar. :tango_face_grin:

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Couple years ago NRA was giving one of those ceramic hunting knives for renewing your membership at one of the big gun shows in Tulsa I renewed and got one that thing wont cut hot butter. Very nice but worthless in my opinion.

Deaconllb

·
24,482 Posts
Couple years ago NRA was giving one of those ceramic hunting knives for renewing your membership at one of the big gun shows in Tulsa I renewed and got one that thing wont cut hot butter. Very nice but worthless in my opinion.

Deaconllb
Yup, same here I expected much better than they turned out. I thought that Susi chefs used them,
but it turns out they don't.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a habit, now that I have so many knives, that I will use one till it is to dull and then use another, and another, and another, and another... till I have to sharpen them.
BAD lazy habit.
I do want my knives when sharp, to be able to cut a soft loaf of bread with no hassle.
That is my test for sharpness, and I will use any knife for cutting bread.

As an aside, recently I actually baked some of those frozen loafs of bread; dickering around with them before baking not just sticking them in a pan.
Well I ended up with a few loaves of soft but leather tough crusts, SO, rather than dull a good knife on that I actually used a serrated edge bread knife.
First time in a long , long, long time that knife has been out of the drawer.:D

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I like a serrated knife on hard bread. Hard bread seems to go over well with the crowd...

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
I have a dexter cleaver over my sink...

When I went to meat cutter school in 1964 and then to working in the WD meat departments in Florida we were given Dexter knives and cleavers. Later the company switched to Chicago cutlery knives. Most of us bought our own forester knives rather than use the acac knives.

Now I buy dexter knives for home use. They are the direct descendants of the green river knives the mountain men prized so much.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts