Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made the switch to Carbons, I got the Gold tips Expedition Hunters. I called up my local archery shop and had the make me up 2 dozen. I had the full length for the extra weight. I like a heaver arrow. I have been shooting aluminum arrows for about 26 years and finely made the switch. I shot about 50 arrows and they shot to the same point of aim as my aluminum arrows. I also had to switch out my wisker biscuit for the carbine insert.
My buddy and I had fun shooting my aluminum arrows into a tree about 50 yards away. We were trying to hit a vine coming down the tree. :D Hit it a couple of times. :-D

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
mg66 said:
I swapped out to carbon shafts last deer season. I am sold on them and they are virtually the same price now as aluminum shafts. The total arrow weight went from 490 down to 375 grains.

With that weight reduction and a 5lb increase in draw weight to 70lbs, it improved actual arrow speed from 247fps to 283fps.

I am sure that new Switchback of yours and those carbon shafts are going to be quite a lethal combination.
It was a hard thing to give up my aluminum arrows. I still have 12 new XX78's. I guess I could look for someone else still shooting aluminum arrows and give them a great deal. :D

·
1,876 Posts
I made the switch about 3 years ago when I purchased my new bow...I'll never go back. No bent arrows anymore for me...I've yet to break a carbon arrow. I still shoot aluminum arrows out of my old backup bow because carbons make that bow very loud...It needs the heavier aluminum arrow that I used to shoot to keep it relatively quiet.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WNY_Whitetailer, I don't think I will miss them either. But I will miss, shooting my not so true arrows in my tree of shame. :-D I have a tree I use to shot my slightly bent arrow into. King of a game to be able to make a small group. :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Redhawk1 said:
Made the switch to Carbons, I got the Gold tips Expedition Hunters. I called up my local archery shop and had the make me up 2 dozen. I had the full length for the extra weight. I like a heaver arrow. I have been shooting aluminum arrows for about 26 years and finely made the switch. I shot about 50 arrows and they shot to the same point of aim as my aluminum arrows. I also had to switch out my wisker biscuit for the carbine insert.
My buddy and I had fun shooting my aluminum arrows into a tree about 50 yards away. We were trying to hit a vine coming down the tree. :D Hit it a couple of times. :-D
I like to run my shafts long too. The energy stays up and they shoot flatter. I think the balance FOC is less so the longer shaft doesn't take a dive compared to a greater FOC shaft.

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts