Graybeard Outdoors banner

Magnum Research .17 HMR mailed home

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Davemuzz 
#1 ·
Its a sad day, I mailed my BB gun on crack back to its maker, it was just developing too many problems. The cases were bulging at the back so bad it would not eject consistantly and was starting to catch on the front of the reciever making a burr. Magnum Reasearch issued a voluntary recall, to buy back or rechamber in a .22 Mag. I loved it, I will miss it. :'(

See less See more
#2 ·
Nah.....Cheer up. I'm one of those in the minority that feel the 17hmr....or the other hmr2 I think, are highly over rated sissy guns. They are accurate, fast, and can't really kill much of anything bigger than a crow.....unless you shoot 'em more than once.

But that's just my opinion.

Dave

#3 ·
Coyotes are considerably larger than crows as are fox and armadillo.
all fall pretty easily to the 17hmr? Other things have included beaver
and canadian geese. I did not shoot the geese but the shooter picked
off 4 of them at almost 200 yards before the geese knew what had hit them.
Both the hm2 and the hmr have killing power far out of proportion to their size.

#4 ·
Yeah. I had one in a revolver. It just was plain worthless. I have a 17 Fireball in a Savage now. Now...that's a real 17 caliber. 35 grain bullet @ 3400fps. It's the Pennsylvania fox hunters choice for fur friendly bullets. One shot kills with no exit wounds. No one uses the rimfire for this purpose. It can't effectively and consistently kill like the centerfire. A perfect rimfire shot will kill. A not so perfect centerfire shot will kill. A not so perfect rimfire shot will leave you with no fox. And remember, your shooting at night.

Dave

#5 ·
IMHO, I belive 17HMR is a fantasic round! this past summer alone I am positive I killed over 1000 ground squirrels and at least half that in Prarie Dogs. (not shots fired actual kills) It will remove limbs from squirels at a 100 yards and ruin a prarie dogs day. Rarely do I have to use a follow up shot. I use it mostly out to 150, thats when i switch to .204 ruger with a 39gr @ 3800fps, that when the real fun begins.

#6 ·
A revolver would not let this cartridge live up to
its full potential. Never had a desire to have a handgun in either
of the .17 rimfires though. I need no convincing what they
are capable of in a rifle though. I have used them both extensively
and have had excellent results. The Hm2 is now my favorite
small game Ctg. Laser straight shooter devistating impact. Mild
report is also a big plus. One warning on the HMR, is with the CCI
FMJ rounds. They have some pretty serious penetration issues.
For some reason, they do not seem to yaw. they just zip through
like a needle.

#7 ·
I had one and just sold it...a Ruger 77/17...had CPC rebuild and did the trigger, glass bed, 4x16 Weaver on it. Shot dime sized groups at 100 yards on a windless day....HOWEVER...there was something very wrong with the receiver as I had to shim the mounts and action to get the little group within 4" of the bull, even when the scope adjustments were screwed all the way to the end of the setting....so...sold and am now waiting for a Savage 93-BV in....17HMR!!!!

Yep...I think the cartridge is cool!!!

#9 ·
Dave, this is a rimfire board. You have made your opinion clear. There are others that don't agree with you. It is starting to look like you are trying to start a fight, which is against the rules here.

#10 ·
Keith,

I don't know what your reading, or why you would take my comments like I was trying to "fight" with someone about a cartridge. The gentlemen stated the bullet on the HMR was "zipping through like a needle". All I said was if you load the 35 grain Berger....well, you can certainly re-read the post.

The Berger 17 caliber bullets are known for exploding inside the target and not leaving an exit . I'm not arguing anything. I'm just stating a fact. And it's not my facts that I'm stating.

'Nuff said.

Dave

#12 ·
trotterlg said:
Please point me to a supply/source of 35gr Berger 17 Cal bullets. Larry
Larry......It's either my age....or my Medication.....let's blame the Meds. (Damn...I hate when that happens!!!) The correct Berger bullet to load is the 25 gr. Match.

Berger makes a 20gr., 25gr., and a 30gr. But the mysterious 35 gr. that I kept talking about.....Ummm....well.....it just doesn't exist.

So, wherever I said 35gr., replace that with 25gr. That's the one I load, and that's the one that is put on the high podium by all who shoot it.

Dave. (Now....where are those Med's?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.