Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -
next on my bucket list is a 50 cal., specifically the 500 JRH. Would love to go the full custom route through Jack Huntington but the budget won't allow at this point in my life...
I'm looking hard at the BFRs, but wondering what the advantages are in their custom version vs their standard/factory revolver. I'm not looking for a lot of modifications or bells & whistles, just a solid shooting stainless-bisley version. My question really is "is it worth the extra $600+ dollars for a custom BFR" - are the tolerances, finish, etc. that much better that it'll be noticeable in performance and appearance?
Hoping some of you have had experience with both versions and can share your thoughts...
thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did not know about factory custom BFR, interesting. But here is some of my experience & observations since I type pretty fast.

Got my 1st BFR 4570 in 90's but when the JT s/n guns came out a few years later, sold it and replaced plus added 2 more incl. 500sw, about 15 to 20yrs ago. Have not seen latest BFR guns.

All 3 guns are JTxxxxx within first 400 release. Compared to my first one, the JT has a number of 'great' custom features plus is very accurate/reliable - recessed cyl chambers, set-screw cyl base pin, cyl free spins both directions, crisp recessed mzl crown, brushed stainless - nice gun and have kept, and use home made shot loads too at times plus can handload 'long' 4570 - 600g bullets at very very low velocity(my favorite feature of the long cylinder, unlike 500jrh which also like).

In overall looseness I compare BFR JT guns to good quality Ruger SAs which I also enjoy and are accurate, but most accurate & enjoyable with my handloads. Just about everything on gun does have some side play looseness but not a huge issue as not excessive on mine, ultra tight lock-up has never been required IMO.

Compared to FreedomArms m83s (incl my 50ae, 475, 454), the standard JT is still not nearly as custom in tolerances as in m83 lockup; FAs have no trigger sideplay(great for accuracy) and no endshake, has linebored tight chambers, smallest b/c gap ever, scope or red dot ready, ease of interchangeable sights & Extreme Accuracy(if shooter able) with multiple factory ammo choices, tho i handload mostly. The cyl rotates in only 1 direction but no issue for me as I am very careful with use and like the feel & handling personally.

FA m83s are dubbed semi-custom but no one else can get close to their exact tolerances, so (for me) will stick with Freedom Arms and their extreme QC & tolerances plus great 'custom' customer relations & options, that is when spending extra on my favorites, which are SA wheelguns.

With BFR, would still consider lower psi 500jrh & 475 for sure but have no need right now. BTW, back in 90s when could not find a 475, Mr Huntington performed a superb conversion from a FA m83 454. Now have a couple of actual FA-475s too, that really really like. And may get a 500we cylinder someday, to go with my 50ae FA m83.

Hope this helps, enjoy which ever gun you get!

·
Registered
103 Posts
ps: The balance, trigger & hammer feel plus grip design of FA m83s are perfect for my SA handling, and for recoil with heavy loads!

The BFRs feel like a big club hammer in comparison but like I said I have kept mine still, for special projects mainly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts