Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
It is a Model 1861 (pattern) 10 inch siege mortar cast in 1865 by Seyfert, McManus & Company, and inspected by Stephen Carr Lyford. It was given a registry number 38. The barrel weighed 1949 lbs. This company was located in Reading, PA and they built a second foundry call the Scott Foundry named after Winfield Scott.

The Alger 8 inch siege mortar that I have was also cast in 1865 for which the government paid 11 cents per pound. I would assume that this one would have cost a similar amount.

Only one of the two vents should have been open all the way to the bore. The other should have been drilled to about 1 inch of the bore.

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
When the first one burned out it could be plugged in the field and the second one opened without having to send it back to a machine shop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is nice to see that there are others in the State that like mortars. It is also nice that you like the one that is in my backyard.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
OL CODGA -

WELCOME to the board!

I know the feeling - it's great to find a friend to shoot with nearby!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Especially one that loves mortars :) :) :) Tim, looks like i'm working more overtime for the next few weeks, but Sundays are open................ sorry about hi-jacking your topic Spuddy, that's one nice mortar you have up there! OL CODGA, you'll have to get together with Spuddy and fire that big Mortar that's in your backyard ;D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I emailed him and I am waiting for his replay.

I have a full size repro of a rev war company mortar that belongs to a friend. It is dog food can size, all that I can say is WOW!!!!!!!! when we fire it off. :eek:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
OL said:
I emailed him and I am waiting for his replay.

I have a full size repro of a rev war company mortar that belongs to a friend. It is dog food can size, all that I can say is WOW!!!!!!!! when we fire it off. :eek:
Hey! you just can't mention a rev war mortar without pics, i like them too!!! and i bet others would like to see it also.............

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
OL said:
I am not good at this computer stuff so as soon as I figure out the picture loading I will post some pictures
Click on the reply button. At the bottom of the reply window you will see the additional options... link, click on it. You will see the attach window. click onthe browse button and find your picture on your hard drive and select it. If you have more than one picture click on (more attachments) and an additional attach window will open. The total size of the attached picture/s can not be greater than 1024 KB nor can you attach more than 6 pics.

Try it, be patient, you are learning, good luck.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
OL CODGA, that's a cool looking mortar, believe it or not, i like Rev War stuff more than Civil War stuff.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
We like mortars too and found one at Old Fort Niagara near Niagara Falls, NY. We are not experts at all on Revolutionary War mortars, so we were wondering if anybody knows exactly what this is. It seems to be very similar to OL CODGA's iron reproduction mortar. Anybody have some British Artillery Ref. books? Bore is 2.5". Correction, the Bore Dia. is 4.5", (can't even read my own writing in our field notes journal). Also, there is a Royal Cipher on the top of the tube and the tube is bronze.

Great photos of that seige mortar, Spuddy! We really like that model; we even fished some trash out of one in Cohoes, NY on our last Northeast Trip.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Bronze and close to 4.5" bore dia.

Looks like a Royal cipher to us on this mortar.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It looks closest to the Land Service Mortar Coehorn as described in British Napoleonic Artillery 1793 to 1815 (Osprey publishing) The cipher is for George lll. Beyond that I don't have much to assist you.
regards
Shooter 2

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Thank you, shooter2. Your post made me look at the journal of field notes that we made while hunting cannons in New England and New York State this past summer. You are correct; it is a coehorn and the bore size is 4.5", not 2.5", (can't read my own writing!). Finally found our long-lost copy of Round Shot and Rammers. There on pages 40 thru 43 are some line drawings and artwork depicting the British version of the coehorn. Doesn't look too heavy, either, (only two lifting handles). Love that cipher for George III, very artistic. Maybe Douglas or Tim or Lance will cast one of these for us someday; they're building a foundry, don't you know.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
DoubleD, you are so darn observant! We were very tempted to break into the Colonial Magazine, grab a can of Curtis & Harvey and a Coehorn shell, grab the gun and a linstock from that display, drag the whole works over to the rear of the French Castle and lob a shell over the Niagara River toward Canadian, Fort George, just for old time's sake!!! But we didn't want to cause an international incident, so we didn't. Ah well, we love our trips to Canada and it would be hard to go there again if you were in prison. :'( :'( :'( :'(

Do you miss anything??

Tracy and Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts