Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long hiatus from machining, I finally started a project for the 2021 Ring in the Spring shoot.

It is 6 1/2" tall, 3.15" diameter for the round section, 3.36" across the flats for the octagonal section. I think I made the cylindrical part a little too long but I can't put it back now. Bore will be 1" x 5.5" deep. Now to find my 1" drill.

I am thinking now that I should taper the cylindrical section.

It will ultimately be painted black so it doesn't rust.

Reactions: double d

·
Super Moderator
16,789 Posts

Sounds good George, looks good also. Click on the link above if you can see George's picture.

Your picture isn't showing with the img code, don't know why. That's your area of expertise. Could be my software blocking an unsecured site, or the GBO soft ware, who knows. Seems to me we had a problem like this because Fototime.com security certificate wasn't updated.

·
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am thinking now that I should taper the cylindrical section.

So I did that tonight and I think I like it better this way.

Or as a url if the image is not visible directly (I think the forum doesn't like that it is not an https site.)
http://www.gunneyg.info/images/TaperedSpringRingMascleta.jpg

·
Registered
169 Posts
There it is...wondered what happened to the pic...that looks good!!! If you are concerned with the barrel looking long, you could transition it with a wedding band on the barrel pretty and traditional on my old guns......just a thought...

Attachments

·
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting thought; I will keep it in mind for future projects. I tapered it (2° taper) because I thought it looked too massive as a cylinder. I like it better but maybe should have tried 1° first.

Reactions: HKM91

·
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have pilot drilled the bore to 9/16" because that is the largest drill I have at the moment. I will have a 1" by the end of next week.

·
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the 1" taper shank drill in my possession now; all we need is to get it to the lathe.

·
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PaintedMascleta.jpg

It's painted and ready for storage. I screwed up the movie making so there is no record of The Ringing; sorry. Better luck next time.

Saved the image to the forum this time so it is likely visible now.

Reactions: Terry C.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
That turned out great!

·
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I made the octagon a different way than usual. It turned out well so I will present it.

Past octagon projects have used my spin index and a foot stock to align the flats, but this time I said, "Just machine the first flat on the round piece anywhere, and then rotate it so the new flat is against the stationary jaw of the vise. Do this four times and you are half done. Then rotate the piece 45° and repeat the process."

It worked well, although only appropriate when the octagon is not tapered.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Very nice George. We have always used the spin indexer also. I think we will try it your new way next time. It's got to be a time saver. If you used your Mascleta in multiples as they do in Spain, would you have a quick match fuse of 2-3" pointed toward the powder train that runs by the group of Mascletas that you are tending?

Tracy

·
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you used your Mascleta in multiples as they do in Spain, would you have a quick match fuse of 2-3" pointed toward the powder train that runs by the group of Mascletas that you are tending?

Don't think I will ever have the hundreds that they do but if I did, I think that would be a good idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts