Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm totally new to bullet making. I've reloaded for years though and love it. The price of 40.S&W heads are getting beyond a joke so I though" Why not cast your own?" Is anybody doing so for 40cal and if so could you let me know what basis kit is good. Its for a Glock 22.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Swaging is... Re: Making for .40 S&W

Swaging is the forming of bullets at room temperatures with great pressure thru alot of leverage in special heavy presses... If you want to cold form lead bullets or jacketed lead bullets... Mr. Corbin, Dave at corbins.com has extensive knowledge in book form on the web site for review or down loading or ??? His brother Richard sells similar equipment and has information on his web site... thru bulletswager.com or rceco.com ... If you just want to "go cheap" and make a product of possibly slightly less percision, ch4d.com sells dies for use in reloading presses (both the corbins do too).

As said, if you are thinking of the old "melt the lead" / "pour the liquid lead into a mold"... that is called "casting" and there is another forum for that. (To be fair, swagers, sometimes, cast cores for swaging... if you care.) Enjoy. luck.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Oh yes, ... Re: Making for .40 S&W

Lyman is the HUGE source for bullet casting, although LEE is coming on and other companies have competed for a long time. RCBS has SAECO molds. NEI comes and goes. Hensley and Gibbs goes back forever. If you want to cast, by all means, lurk in the casting rooms and you will learn alot quick and can go from there. LEE is a great start just 'cause it is cheap. And if you don't like it, you are not "out" alot. From there you can spend about as much as you care to. luck

·
Registered
102 Posts
You might want to ease over to glock talk and look at what they say about using cast or lead non jacketed slugs in a glock i think due to the type of rifling in those it causes a great pressure build up fast i know it did in mine polygonal barrels.

Yes richard corbin has jacket pistol bullet making dies on his site bulletswager.com and they are reasonsble they are used in a reloading press..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts