Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally I had time to do some shooting today. One of the guns was my contender 300 whisper with its new Bushnell elite 3200 scope. This is my first contender and I dont really shoot handguns alot. ( For the past two years or so I haven't really shot anything alot.) Anyway I was shooting some fireforming loads of a 150gr Remington 30/30 bullet with 10gr of AA #7. The load is not bad on recoil at all, maybe like a 357 mag. The load acted like it wanted to shoot OK but I just wouldn't let it. I'm not sure my exact problem but I think that maybe my grip is inconsistant. Anyway looks like I need a .22 match barrel and some more time to practice. For those who are curious I put 9 of the 10 shots at 50yds into about 1.75 in. with the other shot going out of the group about an inch and a half. Any help you can give will be welcomed.
There was one bright spot and one so-so outcome but you will have to go to the SSR forum and the rimfire rifle forum to read those.
BruceP

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
:D i'd say practice is all you need. put several rounds downrange. it's really hard to shoot 10 rounds into a perfect group. i say backup to 100 yards, practice, develop good shooting form, shoot smaller groups such as 3 shot or 5 shots. if your still not satisfied, try changing the loading components.
1.75" is not that bad if you havn't shot for a long time. you just need a little fine tuning. it will come with a few more target sessions. some days i just shoot better than others also. 8)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kyode
I did shoot two five shot groups at 100yds and they were both around 2.5 in. I usually do not shoot 10 shot groups but I was fireforming brass and was planing to shoot all the ammo I had. I shot the first five shots at 50yds and the group did not look that good through the binos so I was lazy and fired the next five at the same target instead of walking down to change targets.
In about 6 weeks I should have a little more time to shoot so I'll have to get back to the loading bench between now and then. I may also call Ed's Contenders and check on a 22 match barrel in that time also.
BruceP

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered the .22 match barrel from ED's today. Now practice wont cost as much and I can get use to shooting a contender off the bench.
BTW I had none of the problems getting in touch with Ed that some have. I emailed him Wednesday night he answered me Thursday and I called three times today and got through the last time and placed my order.
BruceP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts