Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am downsizing my H&R NEA collection and forgot about this old jewell I had in the safe. I was hoping someone could tell me if they are relatively rare and if they have any special value??
Musical instrument Sleeve Musical instrument accessory Wood String instrument

Thank You in advance for any help you folks can offer.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
I notice the extra barrel in the photo - is this a rifle/shotgun combo or multiple gauges of shotgun? That looks to me a custom made stock, so in essence it is probably a one off in that it was probably sold as an unfinished stock and finished by the owner. They probably sold the same style stock to several customers over several years. As to the Mannlicher style stock from the factory, I have 2 rifles from the old H&R that have factory Mannlichrer stocks, one is 22 Hornet that I bought new and a 30-30 that I bought here on the forum. I don't recall seeing or hearing of any shotguns from the factory with the Mannlicher style stock, but there are others here with more knowledge than me. It is a sweet piece, but a little over the top on style for my taste.

Reactions: steve6949

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I notice the extra barrel in the photo - is this a rifle/shotgun combo or multiple gauges of shotgun? That looks to me a custom made stock, so in essence it is probably a one off in that it was probably sold as an unfinished stock and finished by the owner. They probably sold the same style stock to several customers over several years. As to the Mannlicher style stock from the factory, I have 2 rifles from the old H&R that have factory Mannlichrer stocks, one is 22 Hornet that I bought new and a 30-30 that I bought here on the forum. I don't recall seeing or hearing of any shotguns from the factory with the Mannlicher style stock, but there are others here with more knowledge than me. It is a sweet piece, but a little over the top on style for my taste.

Thank You for the help!! It is just a single gun that came with a 410 barrel when I acquired it. That other barrel was just propping it up for a little better photo. I probably will just sale it locally but was curious if was indeed special. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Also sent you a PM

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Looks like a custom made stock. Never heard of, nor seen one on a shotgun from the factory neither.

·
Super Moderator
51,923 Posts
The only factory firearms (single shots) offered by H&R with mannlicher forends were the M157 and later a 45-70 model, the later version had no end cap like the M157, and was also offered as an accessory for a while, came with a plastic barrel band. GSI also makes aftermarket mannlicher forends, although not currently available last I checked.

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
I checked with gsi about 6 months ago the last time the topic came up and they said they were completely out. It does seem that it might depend on who you talk to though.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I have customized a couple of handi stocks in the past. I have also built a couple of custom stocks from scratch from walnut blanks. That definitely appears to be a custom stock and not a factory. Nice example!

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
1,518 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am downsizing my H&R NEA collection and forgot about this old jewell I had in the safe. I was hoping someone could tell me if they are relatively rare and if they have any special value?? View attachment 261975
Thank You in advance for any help you folks can offer.
Sometime about 40 years ago I had a H&R 30-30 dubbed a “Shakira” that had a factory full length stock. But it went to the end of the muzzle and was capped with a schnabel end piece.

·
Super Moderator
51,923 Posts
Sometime about 40 years ago I had a H&R 30-30 dubbed a “Shakira” that had a factory full length stock. But it went to the end of the muzzle and was capped with a schnabel end piece.
That would have been a model 157 (pic above) with a 30-30 barrel, also came in 22 mag (1976-77) and 22 Hornet. The model 155 Shikari was only available in 44 mag and 45-70, had a forend similar (if not identical) to the model 156 Huntsman with barrel band and cleaning rod under the barrel.

Tim

Reactions: ppg1948

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wonder if this one was made by the same person.

I am not that familiar with H&R Models, but if you scroll thru the pics this stock does not have the same form mine does. The wood would overlap the receiver. Tim, what do you think?

·
Super Moderator
51,923 Posts
I am not that familiar with H&R Models, but if you scroll thru the pics this stock does not have the same form mine does. The wood would overlap the receiver. Tim, what do you think?
The M48 is a later version of the M1908 which has an entirely different design, it has a tang which houses the main spring, that design was changed to the current design in 1959 according to the M148 info in the book, applies to all the frames with the top lever....I think.

Tim

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Super Moderator
51,923 Posts
That stock was likely made for a turkey shoot gun.

Tim

·
Registered
dad was a gunsmith, got lots of toys
496 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
Tim did your 22 Hornet have a metal end cap? Mine is plastic and I sprayed it brass colored looks ok but... I have thought about trying to use gold foil and spraying with a clear coat to protect?. Kurt

·
Super Moderator
51,923 Posts
Tim did your 22 Hornet have a metal end cap? Mine is plastic and I sprayed it brass colored looks ok but... I have thought about trying to use gold foil and spraying with a clear coat to protect?. Kurt
Never had one, that pic I gleaned from the net years ago, likely had a plastic end cap just as yours.

Tim

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
both of mine have black plastic end caps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts