Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I picked up a marlin 336 standard mod. I guess has the cross bolt safety 30-30 cal came with weaver see through rings and a Simmons 3x9x40 scope and leather padded sling has been hunted so I would say about an 8 out of 10 will clean up good has a little very small rust on the blueing not bad 00 wool and some number 9 should clean up so when was the cross bolt safety no longer produced? I needed this thing like a hole in the head but could not pass up. does need the pistol grip cap as it is missing anyone got a spare? I went on the net and found that this rifle was made in years 1958-1959 if that is correct that makes it 60 years old almost an antique. The fellow I got it from said he had it for 25 years and it was used when he bought it After a good cleaning of the SN and giving the info. to Bikerbean turns out it was really made in 1985 so that makes it only 34 years old. need to get it cleaned up and polished and may give it a workout at the range if the weather permits.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
256 Posts
Mine is a 336RC waffle top 1952 30-30/ It was D+T ed by the original owner so not a virgin . I too have enough 30-30 s around so sent it to Bob Hoyt and it came back a 38-55 (always wanted that caliber) and it"s a shooter ! Ed

·
Registered
334 Posts
In my opinion you can't beat marlin levers, you can't swing a cat without hitting one here in Michigan. I thought the safeties came later than that though but I might be mistaken. Contrats on your new purchase you just can't go wrong with a Marlin 30-30.

mike

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
The cross bolt safety started showing up on marlin lever guns in the 1982 to 1984 timeframe. Send me a PM with the first two digits of the serial number and i will date it for you.

BB

·
Registered
663 Posts
I killed my first dozen mulies with my Grandad's Marlin 30-30 in Wyoming way back when I was a young man. At the time, this rifle had a Redfield 4X scope that made shots beyond 100 yards fairly easy. I always liked this outfit a lot and bought my own 30-30 carbine in 1979 over in Lusk, Wyoming at the Western Auto Store. Since then, I have hunted in several states and the old 30-30 cartridge has never let me down. How many hunters realize that 30-30 rifles have been toppling big game animals since BEFORE Henry Ford introduced his famous Model T automobile?

Yet 30-30 rifles have distance limitations. My antelope rifle is a flat shooting .243 Remington rifle and my elk and moose rifle is a Savage .308 which is sort of like a 30-30 on steroids. Long distance shots at big game animals is not what made the 30-30 famous. 30-30 does it's very best work at about 150 yards or less which is fairly normal shooting distance within forests and foothills.

Good hunting to you.
TR

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the cross bolt safety the one that most collectors are looking for several years ago when I sold off my Marlin collection that was the one I had the most calls on.

Deaconllb

·
23,845 Posts
I lock those cross-bolt safteys the day I get the rifle. Sometimes I'll take the safety out, grind down the left side, polish it, reblue it, and stick it back in.

I hate the damm things.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don't like cbs either and never use it while hunting, just half-****. But I do put it on when I unload it for the day.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Darn computers, lets call it the safety notch on the hammer.:tango_face_wink:

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Darn computers, lets call it the safety notch on the hammer.:tango_face_wink:
I like that I was trying to think of a word but then I am old and slow.

Deaconllb

·
23,845 Posts
Well I took my 336 out for the first time since I put a fiber optic front sight on it.
Walked it right into the bullseye in 3 shots at 50 yards.

Then loaded up the 4570 Henry carbine with my old hot loads.

After 4 rounds I'd had enough, but I'm about 4" outta the bull at 50 yds.
I should get there next session on the 4570.
Whew!��

1 - 14 of 14 Posts