Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried my brothers Winchester levergun in 45/70 today and I noticed that his lever action is much smoother and easier to operate than that of my new Marlin Guide Gun. Is this because my gun is fairly new? Will the lever "break in" with use or is there anything that I can do to make it operate more smoothly?

--Dragoon

·
Registered
49 Posts
Smooth lever

I've got a new Marlin 22 lever action and am wondering the same thing, the lever is a bit notchy. When I cleaned it the first time I could see where the lever had rubbed a metal plate inside the stock.I applied a small amount of white grease to those parts. I think it just needs breaking in. DP

·
Registered
80 Posts
Marlin 1895 Action

I purchased an 1895G this past summer, and I found that the action was VERY stiff when compared to my old 336. I followed most of the directions given at the web site listed below, and the results were fantastic.

http://www.marauder13.homestead.com/files/TUNING_M_1894.htm

I have learned (through experience) that the recommendation for taking 3/4 of a coil off the hammer spring sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't. On my 1895G, the results were great. I did the same on my 336, and 2/3 of the time ammo wouldn't fire (the hammer wasn't hitting hard enough.) Rather than mess with the hammer spring (which is the most time demanding task in the enclosed instructions), I recommend that you just purchase a reduced power spring from Wolff.

The Wolff spring will seem like it is too long, and it may be difficult to install. With perserverance, it WILL go on, and the results will be good.

I didn't do the part about grinding on the hammer. I would love to hear from someone that has, though.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the results of following the steps on the web site that I mentioned. Let us know how you come out.

The Blade

1 - 3 of 3 Posts