Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I was reading the 2004 Marlin catalog and it said that the Model 60 stock is a wood laminate. I bought my model 60 back in 1985 and I don't recall it being a wood laminate. I thought it was a beech or birch wood stock. Anyone know what it is?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3 Posts
coyote trapper1928 said:
Hi:

I was reading the 2004 Marlin catalog and it said that the Model 60 stock is a wood laminate. I bought my model 60 back in 1985 and I don't recall it being a wood laminate. I thought it was a beech or birch wood stock. Anyone know what it is?

Thanks,
Mine is the Model 60w,1992 edition with ethics emblem in the stock. It is beech wood as I think I can recall the description when I bought it. It may have been birch, but it seems to me it was beech. I don't know exactly what the laminated refers to but could just be the glossy, shiny oil like finish. still wood, but with that finish.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Marlin model 60 stock : Is it real wood or

Wood laminate is thin pieces of wood glued together alternating the grain structure.When the proper thickness is achieved the shape is machined/cut out.Laminates are stronger and less efected buy moisture(swelling/shrinkage)than solid wood.

·
Registered
176 Posts

It depends on the model of Model 60. The base model and my stainless Model 60SB had the birch wood stock. If sanded and oil finished, it is a golden blonde color. The upper scale Model 60SS had the gray laminated stock (a $65 option at that time, about 2001).
I haven't seen their current lineup.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Coyote Trapper1928:

Moontroll's description of the laminated stock was right on the money. Laminated stocks provide the looks forthose of us who like wood yet stocks that are tough and impervious to weather. They got more heft as well.

The model 60, 60SB, and 60SS all have hardwood laminated stocks in 2004 as well as 2005. The specs list them as hardwood laminated so they're probably beech or birch. Seems to me that I read some place that they use Maine birch but I could be wrong. In any event, for the money they're hard to beat. I bought a new M60SS last August and it shoots great and functions very well. I'm happy with it and enjoy taking woodchucks with it. :grin:

GOOD SHOOTING!

Range Finder

1 - 6 of 6 Posts