Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,732 Posts
That's a beautiful bird Tony. The biggest I've ever gotten was my first, 19 lbs. I took a small jake opening day this year, it was 10 yards from me so I couldn't say no. I'm heading out tomorrow for the last day of our season to call for my son who is 12. He almost had one in range this year but it wouldn't come in that last 5 yards I wanted him to come into. He was with his mother on the day I got the jake or else I would have had him take it. He got a shot on one last season but missed.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good job on the jake. To me any turkey you get to come in range is a taker. I remember the day my son got his first bird. I don't remember how old he had a 20ga 1100 and we practiced every Saturday before the season opened. Finally on opening morning he shot a 19lb tom. He doesn't get to go too much now but I'll never forget that day.
Tony

·
Premium Member
9,732 Posts
I agree about any bird coming into range being a taker. I've had too many years where I didn't tag out to refuse a jake. That's a great story about your son getting his. My son didn't tag out, we hunted last Saturday and had toms gobbling at 3 different times of the day but they wouldn't answer any of my calls or come in. My son is good natured about it. A coyote came in at the end of the day as I was calling. He was behind us and I didn't notice him until I went tp ick up the decoys. I wish I had known, I would have had my son take a shot at him if he came in close enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts