Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you fellows tell me about a mauser FR-8?

I have a chance to buy one in 308 cal for $175.00, is it worth this price? It looks to be all original except for someone has painted the stock.

Also can anyone tell me how the rear sight is attached to the action? Any insight would be apreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Handy little thing

Hi Howler,

I used to have an FR-8 that I picked up cheap at a Dept Store years ago. I really liked the looks and feel of it. The bolt was sloppy (sideways motion when you cycle it) but it shot pretty well with FMJ. The steel buttplate and small size of it made it a bit of a bruiser - but fun nonetheless. I had ideas about putting a different stock on it and a Scout scope - never did though. Got an urge to sell it one day and its gone. Been tempted to buy one again (saw some in great shape (mine was banged up)) If its in good shape that price sounds good. Is it on the web - More available?

Rear sight was a forged part of the action if I remember correctly. The sight was pretty nice actually - very rugged. A decent gunsmith/tinkerer could cut & grind off the existing sight - cut a dovetail or tap some holes.

Hope I've helped.

Scout

PS Check this out for a photo of the sight - Shows it well!
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976271657.htm

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks scout, that was helpful. Im geting the mauser from a friend & yes i was considering removeing the rear sight & drilling & taping for a scope, i think it would be a neat little deer rig with a 2-7x scope on board. I shot the rifle this last deer season & it seemed quit capable "as is" for hunting deer in the woods,but i love to tinker! I know what ya meen about that steel butt plate, it kinda ads to the kick.

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey scout thanks. I bought the rifle! from what i read these rifle are more of a collectors item & shouldnt be sporterised so i think im gonna leave it as is other than stripping the paint off the stock to see what kinda wood it has. that was a nice walnut stock in the pic you gave me, maybe this one will have a nice grain as well. Did you find any stock that would fit this rifle? i dont mind doing some fitting & bedding, but dont have the tools for inletting. I would like to use a composit stock & put the original up so i can restore the rifle to original condition should i ever sell it.

Thanks, Howler.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
The rifles of this type I have seen at local gun shows had been converted from small ring mausers mostly M93 -95's. These were not designed to handle the pressures generated by the 308/7.62 Nato rounds. Also these models are greatly lacking in gas handling capabilities. If a round leaks gas the results to the shooter's eyesight will not be pretty... I would definitly relagate these to the collectables ONLY catagory... Good luck from the gunnut69

·
Registered
57 Posts
Small Ring Comment

Hey Thanks for the note on the small ring. I have read the same about small ring Mausers. Problem is I knew about that limitation and when I bought my FR8 (several years back) , I remember checking into this somewhere and read that these FR8's were Large ring Mausers. I even think it stated so on the documents that came with it. Mine looked like one too. I remember comparing it to a small ring .

If I find that material I will post it.

Are there both large and small ring FR8's floating about?

The FR8 is not the same as the "Guardia Civil" thing is it? Those are definitely small rings and most are kept in 8mm as a result.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FR-8

My FR was a large ring! The fellow i bought it from has fired several boxes of shells thru it with know problems except a sore shoulder.

Hey scout, i sold the rifle 3 days after getting it, couldnt pass the offer of 300.00.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Go Figure !

Same happened here. I am afraid to say what I made on mine! - for fear of being called a thief! I bought it at a Dept store that was clearing them out and it had a chip in the stock , so the Mgr went even lower. Two years later I saw people buying them for 300 on the web auctions and could not resist either.

Last year I saw a bunch for 199 at a gun show in better shape than mine and I almost bought 5 or so just to turn them around- but that aint legal is it?

May be I should of kept it.

My shoulder was part of the reason for selling it too.

If I get another I am gonna modify it witha new syn stock - cushy buttplate and scout scope.

See my post about my hunt for Tikka Battue? I just like handy little rifles and the FR8 seemed to fit that category.

Good communicatin with you Howler. :grin:

·
Registered
80 Posts
here the info i've come across regarding the FRs

FR7= Small ring, intended for 7.62 CETME (same deminsions as 7.62 NATO but less powerfully loaded adn thus less pressure)

FR8= LARGE ring intended for use with REAL 7.62 NATO round.

so in other words a .308 Winchester round will CHAMBER in either one but if your gun is an FR7, you best play it safe, and find a set of reload Data for the CETME round, b/c factory .308 ammo is likely to and Mil-surp ammo WILL exceed the original design limits pressure wise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts