Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seeing lots of conflicting load data out there. What can this old 258 Handy Gun II take? Should I put the barrel on an SB2 frame? I'm assuming stay away from the Belm MGM stout loads but any others are ok??

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like I should stay with 21.0 as a max of H110. From what I've found 22.0 is the max with Lil Gun. Looks like 25.0 with AA1680.

Reactions: oldsnow

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Those sound like safe numbers to me. You may find a super accurate load before you get there. If you get a load looking promising with the H110, sometimes a little crimp will tighten up your group.

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
I had a 158 .30-30 with the braised underlug. I had a friend ream it to .30-40 Krag, and then I remembered the braised lug. I gave him the rifle and did the same with my newer .30-30 with the welded underlug. Not only did I not want to be limited to moderate loads, but as always I worry about who may use the rifle down the line and not be aware of its limitations. That is the reason all my centerfire barrels are on SB-2 frames,

Pete

Reactions: quickdtoo

·
Super Moderator
51,039 Posts
Seeing lots of conflicting load data out there. What can this old 258 Handy Gun II take? Should I put the barrel on an SB2 frame? I'm assuming stay away from the Belm MGM stout loads but any others are ok??
The M258 was made 1982-'86, so it would have a welded underlug, but the frame is still cast iron, so keeping the loads at or under the SAAMI 40kpsi would be prudent, but without load testing with pressure equipment, you don't really know what the pressure is when using unpublished data. On an SB2 frame you wouldn't have to be too concerned as long as the loads were developed for a Contender.

Tim

Reactions: oldsnow

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you that answers several questions. I'll use 40k psi as a max, and likely stay just under unless I swap frames.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts