Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the maximum range these guns can be shot with any accuracy?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Depends on the gun and the shooter, of course.

From rest with a two hand hold I can shoot a 6 inch group at 50 yards with a .50 cal Hawken replica. I would not use it to take a first shot at a whitetail at that range.

20-25 yards is about what I would consider my maximum depending on the presentation.

·
Registered
607 Posts
If it's a matter of poking holes in paper, a good single shot pistol will do it at quite a distance. Mykeal indicates 6 inches at 50 yards and several of my pistols will do that too. As with most ML guns accuracy is not the issue, the energy falls off.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the input. It helps. Does the .50 hawken pistol load with the same charge as the .50 hawken rifle?

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I have a 54 with PRB i shoot max 35 yards with 50 gr 2f Goex with 3 to 4 inch groups off sand bags with a very narrow front sight. It is a lyman pistol 8 inch barrel.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I also have the Lyman Great Plains Pistol and it shoots where it is aimed. I have hit NRA target at 50yds, but its the pistol not me. I am fairly consistent to 35-40 with it...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Very good accuracy up to 50m is not uncommon with them. But sure will not use it at that distance for other than paperwork. I use FFF Wano in all of mine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can get 2" groups out of my Tradition muzzle loading 45 cal pistol at 25 yards. This is with the 240 Gr tc maxiball. Power charges from 20 g to 35 grains. Not sure what the velocity is, but this should punch right through a deer. Groups at 50 yards should be 4", I would probably limit my shots to 50 yards now. If I practice and could keep the groups tight maybe 75 yards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts