Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with Psoriasis about 15 years ago. It started to appear on my Knees and elbows. The last several years it is attacking more and more around my head area.
Couldn't be in a worse place and it prevents me from wearing my breathing mask to sleep. It itches like the devil and I haven't found anything to stop the itching.

I know there is no cure for psoriasis , but was wondering if anyone else on the forum suffers from this condition, and have found a way to lessen some of the effects that come with it? I have tried every product doctors prescribe, but don't notice any change in the severity of it. I understand there is a medication that will put it into remission, but the side effects are worse than the temporary cure. My condition is not as severe as some cases I've seen and if i could just stop the itching, I would be a happy camper ;)

Any suggestions?

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
My little brother had that really bad on his legs, he wouldnt wear shorts in the summer because if it.
A Doctor he finally saw started using ultrasound and some kind of a cream.
It took about a month but it went into remission and didn't come back for years.
But he had to keep on top of it.

He used to scratch so hard it would bleed, and leave stains on his clothes. He had done the same as you and had tried everything. I can't say if it would help you or not but it did work on him.
Unless they have already tried that you might ask about it it sure couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
I have to stay clean shaven and use cortizone three times a day; then shampoo and scrub my face with nizoral shampoo.
also there's a new pill out that's supposed to stop it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The wife had a severe case of poison oak a couple of years ago. The only thing that would relieve the itch was a homemade oatmeal cream.
Put a handful of plain oatmeal in a wire mesh strainer, wet it with warm water and knead it into a dough squeezing the juice into a separate container. Work it till you get about a buttermilk thickness.
It is not invisible when it dries but it sure worked for her.
GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BUGEYE said:
I have to stay clean shaven and use cortizone three times a day; then shampoo and scrub my face with nizoral shampoo.
also there's a new pill out that's supposed to stop it.

I've been thinking about losing the beard, but sure hate to do so. I've had it so long, I would feel naked without it. The psoriasis does appear worse under the beard area. I use Cortisone cream, but it really doesn't do much for the itching.I do shampoo and scrub with a prescribed shampoo often. I'll have to check with my Dr about new meds for it................Thanks for the suggestions and responses folks!

·
Registered
16,181 Posts
not sure about psoriasis but my beard itches like crazy if my skin gets dry, have to oil it daily, olive, coconut, but I have used the sunburn pain relief jell with lidocaine and it stops the itching. Cheap right now in the post summer bargain bins.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Honey pure RAW honey not cooked strained store junk
If You can't get it local for any reason
I'll send it too you
I'm not playing doctor but am told it will work on most
Not trying to start a commotion
But if you you can't get it or $$ is problem
I will get it too you

Tommyt

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
My wife has had psoriasis most of her life. When younger it was not very bad at all. Now it has gotten worse. It appears mostly on her scalp neck and face. It will mostly clear up for a number of days then it will appear over night. She is handicapped with a brain injury which makes things worse because I'm the one that keeps it in check. She will scratch it, and I try to explain to her that scratching it will make it bleed. What the dermatologist gave her to put on it is a cream called desonide. I'm pretty sure its a steroid cream, and it does help to clear it up and lesson the severity of it. He gave her a medicated shampoo to use but I found out Head and shoulders intensive care shampoo works just as well as the prescription stuff.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I'm sorry I don't write so well.What I meant and didn't say,
I have heard more than once,if you use the honey as
a topical,like you would a medical creame.
I also know, that medical (chemical Doc's) won't or don't like to
Tell folks that honey,will heal wounds,including those that become stubborn to antibiotics.
Honey is a natural antiseptic "a peroxide" was even used to embalm,in the tombs.
Here in Fl. We have a water born flesh eaten bacteria.
It gets in when if your pricked or cut.Many local comercial fisherman
will keep honey on board,along with antiseptic items.
As soon as they get nic'd or cut.they spread some on.
Again I'm not playing Doc or snake-oil sales,just trying to give another choice.
Possibly the answer!
I'm thinking you can't loose by trying.if it don't help ,I know it's great with
Vanilla ice cream and on buttered toast. ;D
The same goes for Bee Venom,it does many things, the Med folks will call ludicrous.

T

1 - 10 of 10 Posts