Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just returned from a week's cruise with my granddaughters. One stop was in Key west. While walking around the hundreds of tourist shops looking at variations Key West t-shirts with three females, I spotted Mel Fisher's museum. I gave each of the Granddaughters some money and told them to find a souvenir for their mom and dad while shopping with grandma. I said while they shopped I would look at this museum of cannons and stuff. I got an okay.

I took a lot of pictures.

The pictures fall into three class of interest here; cannon, details of cannon with insertable breeches, and projectiles.

I'll add a post over the next couple of days with pictures from each category.

I like to to do metal detecting, but I am not a treasure hunter. I have no giant urge to find gold. But it would be nice. Seeing this treasure was impressive. If I found something like this, I could get excited. You can buy pieces from the treasure. I saw this little emerald ring from the treasure for sale in the gift shop. Sent a picture of it to Lady Jane and asked she would like it for Christmas.

She said no. She wants a robot vacuum cleaner. I married good!

·
Super Moderator
16,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the markings from the two cannons above. I found no signage for these guns. There are two ships involved in the this recovery and you have to pay special attention to signage to understand which ship the artifact you are looking at came from. Even then details are not often displayed with the articles.

Different angles on the guns. Should help barrel builders. Carriages are of course interpretive.

Inside guns.

Blurry picture alert.

Bombardeta

More tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Neat stuff Douglas. Thanks for sharing. That was a bargain on that ring. Should have let me know and I would have had you pick it up for my Wife.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I just returned from a week's cruise with my granddaughters. One stop was in Key west. While walking around the hundreds of tourist shops looking at variations Key West t-shirts with three females, I spotted Mel Fisher's museum. I gave each of the Granddaughters some money and told them to find a souvenir for their mom and dad while shopping with grandma. I said while they shopped I would look at this museum of cannons and stuff. I got an okay.

I took a lot of pictures.

The pictures fall into three class of interest here; cannon, details of cannon with insertable breeches, and projectiles.

I'll add a post over the next couple of days with pictures from each category.

I like to to do metal detecting, but I am not a treasure hunter. I have no giant urge to find gold. But it would be nice. Seeing this treasure was impressive. If I found something like this, I could get excited. You can buy pieces from the treasure. I saw this little emerald ring from the treasure for sale in the gift shop. Sent a picture of it to Lady Jane and asked she would like it for Christmas.

She said no. She wants a robot vacuum cleaner. I married good!

Can you imagine finding that ring on the ocean floor? What an incredible piece of history!
Not sure it's worth almost half a million dollars though.:confused::p

Zulu

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Pretty cool trip and great pictures. Glad you beat the storm back.

·
Super Moderator
16,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the things that caught me eye in this museum was cannon projectiles. I am just going to post the pictures and let you look. Where I could I got the signage for the projectile. Not all need explanation.

These were the most interesting projectiles I saw. Read the sign for details

·
Super Moderator
16,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The following pictures of the breechloading swivel gun displayed in the museum. Hopefully if you are think about building one of these type guns it will give you some Ideas. These picture are not the best quality as the cannons were all behind glass.

Wedge for holding the breach block in place. Notice how the breach is cut for wedging.

All the chambers inserts displayed were tapered in the mouth area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts