Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i kept getting pop up ads and found three adware type programs on my hard drive. I was able to remove two, but one defies all attempts. If I go to c drive, programs 86 I find Mezaa listed, but it won't delete. I opened it in another windows to try and delete files, but they won't delete. I tried to change permissions and that won't happen either. My anti virus won't see it, my adware won't block it!

Anyone have an idea other than wipe the drive and start over?

Did I mention I'm learning to really hate Microsoft?

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Won't work Tim. If I go to control panel, it doesn't show in programs. If I open C drive, and programs 86, it's there. Won't delete. I opened it in a new window, and it has five folders, none of which will delete. I opened properties to admin it, but it won't let me change attributes. I started in safe mode with the router off and tried from there. No luck. I've tried three adware removal programs, none even see it.

I called the local geeks a while ago, they have two units they can't get it off of.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The best tool I have in my geek toolkit for persistent and difficult to remove malware is Hiren's Boot Disk on USB. Boot to it, and either manually remove it or run the anti-virus/anti-malware it includes.

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk

Oh, and if your local geeks can't get rid of it, you need to find better geeks... :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Locally we just have the Staples office supply geeks. I'll check the price of the program you listed though! Might be quicker than a format and reinstall.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
mechanic said:
Locally we just have the Staples office supply geeks. I'll check the price of the program you listed though! Might be quicker than a format and reinstall.
It's free, so your only cost is the USB drive or CD if you prefer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts