Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the faqs, there is some disscusion about using alternate triggerguards from TOTW, on the Handi's.
Neat idea but I don't care much for brass. As a knifemaker, I adhere to the custom smith philosophy. "Brass has no class"
I don't use it on any of my ML's either.

I was interested in how the steel guards looked though, so I snarfed someone's picture (Sorry/thanks :p) and one of TOTW's pictures of a Hawkin guard and roughed them together. I think the classic English Fowler guard may look better but I'd like opinions of the Hawkin first.

Here's the original to compare

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lon371 said:
I like that! How will you attach the front of the guard? I have been thinking of something like that for a wall hanger I am making for a friend.

Lonny
Grind the pinning tabs off of the guard. Drill and tap a hole in the bottom of the receiver for the front of the guard and use a wood screw in the stock for the rear. To do a good job of it, inlet the guard tang into the stock wood.It only takes a a few minutes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking of adding one for two reasons, but without the scroll on the rear. To me, the scroll doesn't look right.

The first reason is to add room for a gloved finger. The factory guard is a little tight. I can use a guard made for a double set trigger and have plenty of room.

The second reason is.....I've never been able to leave well enough alone ::)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My first pick would be this one

BTW Tim, Track doesn't like hard links to their site, so he may B!tch. I nearly banned them from my site because I got tired of listening to it.
If he does, just kill the link.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
But then what do you do to the existing guard? Just grind it off flush and polish?

I provide links for guy's all the time to track stuff, if Dave doesn't like it he's getting looney in his old age,,people buy stuff because of links!!
Matter of fact, I live close enough to walk in the show room from time to time, if Dave's the one that walks out to help me, I tell him I'm just browsing till someone else comes out.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
necchi said:
But then what do you do to the existing guard? Just grind it off flush and polish?

I provide links for guy's all the time to track stuff, if Dave doesn't like it he's getting looney in his old age,,people buy stuff because of links!!
Matter of fact, I live close enough to walk in the show room from time to time, if Dave's the one that walks out to help me, I tell him I'm just browsing till someone else comes out.
Yep, just cut it off flush and pretty it up. I haven't tested it, but I think wiping it down with MEK (Methyl Ethal Ketone) may clean it up.

Dave always claimed it ate up his bandwidth. Then we started a whizzing match over it. Cost them a lot of money because I used to send people to Suzie or direct to the fellows casting the parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts