Graybeard Outdoors banner

Mini-Creedmoor

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  .22-5-40 
#1 ·
Hello, I have had this idea in the back of my mind for years & finally decided to do something about it. I have always been interested in the long-range matches of the 1870's at Wimbledon, Bisley, and Creedmoor. I started digging and found a book in my library, Americans And Their Guns. It has detailed information on these matches..in fact in their day..they drew more crowds that the Superbowl of today!
There were detailed dimensions of these huge chilled cast-iron targets which were imported from England.
The earliest had a square bullseye, later changed to round. They were wider than tall, due to the military influence on shooting..It was thought long-range fire would be used against lines of infantry and artilery emplacements. A shot that was off on windage would still have a good chance of hitting someone, while a high or low shot would probably be a miss. Working with a printer friend, and a computer, these were precisely scaled down 1/10 for shooting at 100yds. with .22 L.R. Both the original square and round bullseyes were printed. The bullseye on these scaled targets is 3.6" I don't even know if I can see that thru irons at 100yd. Perhaps I will even try to contort my old carcass into one of them fancy back-position's of Creedmoor days. All this anticipated fun will have to wait until spring, as range is buried in snow & it's 3 deg. outside! ;D

#2 ·
Sounds like it would be a great time! A local club tried to start the 200 yd shot as a fun event but there were some safety problems. They used a range with pits manned by other shooters from the next relay. Some rounds were hitting the edge of the frames, IIRC, and started bouncing around in the pits. Not a good thing.
I think that the shoot was run with out pit service thereafter with no problems.
It sounds like you spent some time and effort to get this started. Please let us know how it works out in the future. As stated in another post shooting 22's in the wind can be a real challenge.

#3 ·
There are literally dozens of shoots around the country where folks are shooting 22 rifles as far as 35-400 yds. It's an absolute hoot to be sure.
The first one coming up on Friday the 6th at Alliance Ne. Then there's the tornado alley shoot in Oklahoma, that is a 22 sillouette shoot with the rams at 200 yds. Big Hill Shoot at Baker Mt. the 11 of june with targets to 200 yds, Peabody Pass in Rahm ND where the targets go to 350 yds, and the list goes on.
You can get plans for a 22 "creedmoor" steel target from Dave Crossno at Crossno gunstocks.

#4 ·
We shoot a monthly match here in Albuquerque using 22LR rifles and 1/5 scale silhouettes at 50, 100, 150, and 200M benchrested. It is sure eye opening, learning to read the wind and make hits that far out. But also terribly frustrating finding ammo that doesn't have a lot of vertical at that range. It's actually one of the more expensive matches to shoot, with ammo running $15-$20 per box for the good stuff and you burn at least 100 rounds at a time.

#5 ·
Hello, Nobade. We were out your way this spring..went thru on our way to Grand Canyon..beautiful country you have there! I have been so busy with work this year, I have only been to range a few times. I did however manage to take a 1930's prone match rifle built on the BSA 12/15 martini action out. Tried just about every rimfire brand I had..It likes Lapua match! Set up one of those scaled down Creedmoor targets at 100yds. Using irons, that bull looks like a pencil dot! I was shooting prone, with a wrist rest..kept a few in the black! I'll have to make time to get out more often.

#7 ·
Well, if you get through here again give me a shout! It would be great to meet ya and maybe do some shootin'.

#8 ·
Nobade, I've actually had reasonably good results to 200 meters with Aquila rifle match, and the Federal Champions in the 525 count bulk boxes.

#10 ·
.22-5-40 said:
Hello, I have had this idea in the back of my mind for years & finally decided to do something about it. I have always been interested in the long-range matches of the 1870's at Wimbledon, Bisley, and Creedmoor. I started digging and found a book in my library, Americans And Their Guns. It has detailed information on these matches..in fact in their day..they drew more crowds that the Superbowl of today!
There were detailed dimensions of these huge chilled cast-iron targets which were imported from England.
The earliest had a square bullseye, later changed to round. They were wider than tall, due to the military influence on shooting..It was thought long-range fire would be used against lines of infantry and artilery emplacements. A shot that was off on windage would still have a good chance of hitting someone, while a high or low shot would probably be a miss. Working with a printer friend, and a computer, these were precisely scaled down 1/10 for shooting at 100yds. with .22 L.R. Both the original square and round bullseyes were printed. The bullseye on these scaled targets is 3.6" I don't even know if I can see that thru irons at 100yd. Perhaps I will even try to contort my old carcass into one of them fancy back-position's of Creedmoor days. All this anticipated fun will have to wait until spring, as range is buried in snow & it's 3 deg. outside! ;D
So how did the targets work out for you?

#11 ·
Hello, StrawHat. This was not a good year for shooting! What with the weather & work schedule, I was only able to get out 5 or 6 times.
I did however, manage to try the Pope-BSA 12/15 at 50 and 100yds prone. With the scaled 1000yd. targets..I had to order a couple of smaller size dia. front sight inserts..that bull is so small!
Shooting prone with canvas shooting coat & wrist rest, I was able to keep them all in the black & some shots were cutting into one another! Without rest or sling..things were different..I found myself resting after each shot with this heavy rifle..still managed to place most shots into the black..need lots more prone practice! But it's a hoot!
One thing that surprised me at 100yds...The Lapua match ammo..X-Act, Center X, etc. all shot into 1/4" groups at 50yds. rest. The Eley was shooting into the .300"'s. But at 100yds..the Eley surpassed the Lapua..by quite alot. Thanks for asking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.