Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Super Moderator
51,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today, shot the scoped 45-70 and the 243 Ultra. The load for the 45-70 was H4198 and the 300gr Nosler partition. A friend had his chrono set up and let me run one of my loads over it, 2318fps. I was still working up in .2gr powder increments, that load of 55.4grs shot a 1¼" 3 shot group at 100yds, after he left I ended up working up to 56.8grs and called it good when 3 shots were touching at 100yds!

The 243 didn't show as much promise shooting H380 and 65gr Vmax, best group was right at 1" with 44gr, above that accuracy dropped off. I also shot some 55gr CT ballistic silvertips, but my starting load was too hot, shot 1" groups, but caused the barrel release to be "sticky" when opening it. The primers were also slightly cratered, but none stuck in the chamber. I'm going to back off a couple grains and try those again with a little less powder unless I find that the powder capacity increased enough in the once fired stuff that my start load isn't close to being compressed. Book max is 53gr, I started at 49gr. This was shooting in new winchester brass, powder capacity was restricted since I was compressing powder at less than 51gr, so I think I'll just neck size these once fired cases and see if the powder capacity will improve and hopefully reduce pressure some. The nosler books shows the 53gr max load as the only compressed load.

Tim

· Super Moderator
51,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What bullet?? I'm hoping to stay with the H powders, they're said to be temperature insensative and in my hunting areas the temps could be 80 degrees or 25 degrees depending on the time of year or day!..

Tim

· Super Moderator
51,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MT4XFore said:
Quick:
Just to be sure you're clear, there are only a few of the Hogdon powders that are temperature insensitive. They call them "Extreme" powders. I can't remember all of them right off , but go to http://www.hogdon.com to check them out. Good luck.

Jim
H4198 is one of em, that's why I'm using it! :wink:

· Super Moderator
51,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Mac!! :D

Norse, I've got a 100gr load in the Federal Classics, it shoots extremely well, but I want a varmint/predator load for some long range shooting. I may have to use the 100gr if I can't get the light bullets to shoot as well, though...

Tim

· Super Moderator
51,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry Norse, missed this post.....thanks.....it can shoot better than I can, it's nice that once in a while I can utilize it's potential!!! :-D

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.