Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at Cabela's yesterday I picked up the 7th edition of the new Hornady Reloading Manual. I was disappointed when I got home and removed the cellophane to look at it. It contained a "Do Not Discard" folder on the inside. Much to my surprise it contained no less than 11 corrections on 10 pages to errors in the manual. Velocity errors, O.A.L. errors, wrong primer descriptions, barrel length, as well as case trim to lengths. ALL WRONG! I can't believe they went to print with this. If that little place card gets lost, and the manual changes hands, or even if it doesn't, serious, and dangerous mistakes could very easily be made. It looks like they hired Mr. Magoo as a proof reader. This never would have happened 20 years ago. You shouldn't have to pay close to $30.00 for a manual, then have to get out a Magic Marker and a pen to start "fixing" it. I expected more from Hornady. Bill T.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Here is both pages of the corrected data. THERE WERE MANUALS SHIPPED OUT WITHOUT THIS! The administrator might want to make this a "sticky" with the appropriate heading. Bill T.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

It's her Bushmaster Carbon 15 21S Pistol in .223/5.56 MM with an E-O Tech holographic sight. Bill T.

·
9,530 Posts
SHOOTALL said:
whats that lady shooting in the picture ?
::) and I thought I was old! ;D

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
what can i say ? a nice lady ! nice gun ! the poster shared it with us ! a thank you to him !

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
I don't see a single safety related issue in the bunch unless it is in the loading data for the .480 Ruger. Since the printed page data isn't there I can't comment regarding it but none of the other errors are safety related and no one would get hurt over them.

Most loading manuals come with such an errata sheet really. Over the years about as many that I've bought have as have not. It's not a good situation but percentage wise I'd say there are fewer errors than in most books and certainly fewer than any magazine or newspaper. Sure it would be great for it to be PERFECT but what in this world do you know of that is?

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Seems these days with computers and spell checkers the general quality of printing has suffered. I see strange mistakes in newspapers and magazines all the time - much of America is in way too big a hurry. I'm glad to see GB figures most of the Hornady manual errors are not serious - I've been thinking about picking up a copy. I'll wait. Last night I was just comparing the first Lee maual with the second and saw where I'd found a problem in version 1. I use a pen or marker to make corrections. And its another reason to compare several manuals before throwing any powder.

In most of my manuals I go thru with a pencil and put a big X across pages for all the 300 magnums except the original 300 Winchester, just in case I accidentally get a page flipped. Wouldn't want to try to pack a Wby or UM load into my cases.

Same idea, I put black stripes on all my IMR 3031 cans to avoid mistaking them for IMR 4831 by color. I've always been surprised they made the colors so similar.

Thanks for the warning.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Loading .500 S&W rounds at the redline with pistol primers could very easily cause a pressure related issue. If not a safety related one, certainly a mechanical one that could easily result in the gun being tied up or damaged. I know of no pistol primer designed to run at 60,000 PSI. It's the reason most manuals highlight the fact the data was achieved with large RIFLE PRIMERS. As I said, there were manuals that left Hornady without this corrected data sheet. One of the reasons I bought this manual was for updated data on the .500 S&W. Bill T.

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
I will admit that my library is limited to fewer than 18 manuals for reloading , but the correction pages seem to be from Hornady .
I guess you could be correct about nothing being perfect , but after reading all the safety warnings in the book one would think they would take their own advice and get it right since the release of faulty recipes does not build confidence in their product . I for one will wonder if just one safety related load was missed !
I don't mean to bash them but as a user of their book i feel i have every right to voice criticism when the product is less than correct !
I will continue to use their product , but will surely inspect product and literature with a more careful eye .
As i stated before they do deserve credit for attempting to correct but as also stated a more permanent correction would be better . Say self adhesive pages to over lay incorrect data pages so as to not allow separation for either safety or convenience . Hey buy a tool lately that's how they come , English instructions with Spanish overlays !

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SHOOTALL said:
I will admit that my library is limited to fewer than 18 manuals for reloading , but the correction pages seem to be from Hornady .
I guess you could be correct about nothing being perfect , but after reading all the safety warnings in the book one would think they would take their own advice and get it right since the release of faulty recipes does not build confidence in their product . I for one will wonder if just one safety related load was missed !
I don't mean to bash them but as a user of their book i feel i have every right to voice criticism when the product is less than correct !
I will continue to use their product , but will surely inspect product and literature with a more careful eye .
As i stated before they do deserve credit for attempting to correct but as also stated a more permanent correction would be better . Say self adhesive pages to over lay incorrect data pages so as to not allow separation for either safety or convenience . Hey buy a tool lately that's how they come , English instructions with Spanish overlays !
Well said, and I agree. You can't compare a missed diagnosis from a Cardiovascular Surgon on your heart, to the local garage unnecessarly replacing your water pump on the family sedan. Same here. An occasional typo can happen, and in fact does. But when you have to list corrections, and in fact get a whole caliber wrong, it's time to stop the presses and regroup. Bill T.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is kind of scary! I bought the book a short time back, and looked up info from it - in combination with data from 2 or 3 other reloading manuals - for some standard .45 acp semi-auto and .45 Colt revolver loads. My copy did not have any correction info.
What if I was a brand-new handloader; and just bought the new manual for reloading for my new .480; and to top it off, did not know about this site?
Why wouldn't Hornady get the word out via other methods, such as gun magazines, etc.?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Some seem to forget what the manuals are intended to be. They're merely a guideline and not the gospel. Typos and variations in components used for testing are all the more reason to use multiple sources of info for comparison. I own a copy of every manual I've been able to find since the mid 60s and I'll guarantee you there are worse mistakes in some than what we see here. Now I'm not taking up for Hornady but merely pointing out that their infractions are minor compared to some others. It seems we all expect the other guy to be perfect yet when we screw up ourselves we can't understand what the big deal is. ;)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Lets see, they can find the mistakes, and send a paper with as they did, Or they can Recall the book, and have to charge $60 - $80 per book every time they find a mistake, and they WILL. I fail to see a problem, but, I live in reality where life is not perfect and mistakes are made.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Lets hope this "lack of quality control" doesn't render itself across the entire product line.........

Or.........the lack of quality control in this item gives me a reason to be concerned about potential quality issues with other Hornady products.

Hornady has to good of a name to allow this to happen.......I hope they get it straightened out.......

That said, I'll never buy another Kitchen Aid appliance.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Reminds me of the story of the congresswoman when told the FDA had a standard for the number of rat droppings allowed in a bushel of grain. She said "well if they can count them, why can't they just get them out?"

1 - 20 of 51 Posts