Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Came across a Shikari in 44 Mag today. Didn't dig deep, but seems in fine condition, 80-90% for the age? Good color on the case hardening and ramrod was present.

It was priced at $299. Not sure if the shop is willing to deal or not. With newer production 44's way up there in price, how does this compare? Fair price, good deal, overpriced?

I would consider having it D&T for either a red dot or scope, unless that kills the value, as ballistics go it would fill the gap between my 357 Mag levergun and 45cal MZ. Any other things to watch out for on the pre-transfer bar guns?

Thanks,
Terry

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
If it's worth it to you buy it! IMHO it's not a crazy price. It's a little more than I would wanna pay. But it's yours not mine... If you want it it's worth it to you and that's all that should matter.

I had one I liked it but sold it off. I'm not a 43 mag fan. :)

Remember is a soldered barrel gun. Made before any SB designations.

CW

·
Super Moderator
51,491 Posts
What CW said, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it, I passed on a 45-70 Shikari locally for $200, but $299 isn't out of line for one in good condition. A weak trigger spring is likely the only issue you might have on a vintage frame, if it's a problem, a Wolfe extra power spring is definitely worth the investment, an early M155 pre-transfer bar frame would use the double coil spring, available direct from Wolfe, as well Midway last I checked, links in the FAQs.

Tim

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks CW, Quick. If it was closer to $250 OTD I probably wouldn't have left it behind. We'll see if its still around in a week or two. I know it's heresy, but after seeing BB's 445 lever in the Marlin forum a few weeks ago, I might just wait...

Thanks,
Terry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.