Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked one up a few years ago with a cracked and chipped stock, broken trigger guard and lots of wear for $200.

After fitting a rough in stock from gunstocks inc:

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Odds-n-Ends.htm

and waiting patiently for a new cast metal trigger guard and trap door butt plate from Numrich's :

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1413270C

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1160770

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/122050

and fitting and finishing here is the final reveal:

And it works...:tango_face_grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
19,179 Posts
That is a beautiful gun.
Well done.

·
Registered
199 Posts
+1 with neckisred and bugeye. Beautiful job.

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Looks great!!

I restocked the butt on my Series D 24 two months back.

I need to check it out this weekend as I noticed its cracked again... 😞

CW

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did a test today to see how closely the two barrels shoot using the iron sights.

Here is the photo of the target showing two rounds of 22 lr and one 20 ga slug fired from 45 paces. About the distance I would typically hunt from with this rig:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Unfortunately thats pretty typical 😞

Is yours soldered barrels?

I have had a few and only one has been close enough to be useable.

CW

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But the 20 ga. shotshell hit right on target from 25 paces so I'm thinking that I need to shoot some more rounds to make sure where each barrel is hitting. Here is a photo of the No. 8 shot pattern:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
One question I have is why do the stocks keep cracking just wont for my information.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe mine was cracked from abuse. The buttstock had also been carved on with some diy checkering and the forend right side hanging over the receiver had split off the main part of the forend. I tried to save the buttstock by sanding the checkering off but there was not enough wood left to make a good fit to the sides of the receiver. It seems to be a difficult stock to fit because there are three bearing surfaces.

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
I agree. The stock fits reverse angles on the sides then at the very rear of the stock.

I fit mine and was careful to make it as even as I was able. The left side cracked. (Again) it simply must have been too tight. I am pulling it off today for the repair and will relieve a bit more material. But its SO EASY to take too much and leave a unsightly gap.

Mine has seen maybe a hundred shots before it cracked. It went on as nice as could be. Seemed even and tightened down with barely any compression. Gave zero indicators Id have any problems.

CW

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Here is mine before repairs.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Not all wood is equal. Sometimes you get a piece that's weak in places. It might look okay and the grain may be oriented correctly and the weakness just doesn't show.

The way you fitted it may have worked fine with another piece of wood, but not with that one.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Nice work, Lt. Dave. Those ofl Savage 24's are very hard to find anymore. They haven't been mad in I don't know how long, but were nice working guns. I gave my Savage 94C which I got as a birthday gift when I was 16 to my youngest son. It was a .410 and may not be shot again, but he will keep it for sure. Take care, John.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Had the same problem with a TCR and a Winchester 94. Seems to me that uneven contact, stock to receiver, is the problem. Bedded the butt of all my two-piece stocks to the receivers. No problems since. A little of the bedding compound (what kind doesn't seem to matter) goes a long way, and be sure to used a good release agent. Just what's worked for me.

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
Question is it possible to mount a scope on one of these rifles, I did notice that Charlie on the show The Last Alaskan has his fathers savage 24 and he has a very nice peep sight mounted on it He did not say what the rifle caliber was but it may have been a 222 Remington as he was shooting Rabbits with it the bullets did not look like 30-30 I have it recorded so may run it and pause to see if I can see the caliber, He did say it was fine for Caribou but to small for moose.

Deacobllb

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a newer model 24-f in 30-30 over 12 ga that was drilled and tapped for scope rail.

The older 22 lr barrels have the grooves on the side of the barrel that will accept .22 receiver type rings. I'm trying to find a peep sight to fit the grooves.

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
I did rerun and paus the Last Alaskan showing Charlies dads savage 24 rifle and it is a 222 over 20 gage. very nice rifle.

Deaconllb

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
One of my favorites that did not atart out as! Its thin and lighter then the newer 223/20. I actually just sold that one!! The 222 is stayin!!

Shoots cast nice and much better the. The 223 as well

1 - 20 of 20 Posts