Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i saw this beauty for sale over on S&W board. i'm in the process of trading for a blackhawk 357,which in time i may convert to a 44 special,otherwise i'd make an offer.dan

·
Registered
382 Posts
I guess I just don't see the point of converting a perfectly good .357 to a limited capability, boutique cartridge like .44 Special.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I always liked the skinny barrels on the N frame 357s. That's why I converted my M28-2 into a 4" 45 ACP.

It was a nice and lightweight 45 revolver. S&W eventually came outwith the mountain revolver which is similar.

Good thing more barrel smiths don't do rebores or there wold be a lot less 28s out there!

I would like one in 45 Long Colt.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
To me, it seems foolish to make the conversion. Can't you find a gun in the caliber you want? What is the cost of the conversion in comparison to purchasing another gun in the desired caliber?

Over the years I have seen a lot of people convert from one caliber to another, but most often the cost of having it done is two-three times more than the value of the gun.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
StrawHat said:
I always liked the skinny barrels on the N frame 357s. That's why I converted my M28-2 into a 4" 45 ACP.

It was a nice and lightweight 45 revolver. S&W eventually came outwith the mountain revolver which is similar.

Good thing more barrel smiths don't do rebores or there wold be a lot less 28s out there!

Very interested in the same con. Can you tell me who did yours, and the cost?

Willy

·
Registered
557 Posts
m-g-Willy

I had the barrel rebored by Dick Nickel (unfortunately he has passed on), and did the rest of the work myself.

The cylinder I picked up at a local shop and the frame lug was made from a piece of round stock.

Much of the work was done with a hand held milling machine, commonly referred to as a hand file.

I also used corundum and arkansas stones.

The total cost can't really be summed up because aside from the rebore it was all just investments of time.

If I were to use a smith, there is one who's name escapes me for the moment. He is located on Diagonal Road in Grafton Ohio and has advertised the 44 Special conversion.

Maybe one of the other members will be able to supply his name and if he is still in business.

With the availability of mountain revolvers, why are you interested in converting an older model? Personally, I would prefer a conversion over the new piece but what are your reasons? And "none of your business" is always a good answer with me.

rockabilly

My reasons for converting at that time were the total unavailabilty of 4" 45 ACP revolvers. Also, I had a M28-2 in which I had very little money tied up and with the exception of the rebore, I could do all the work myself.

However, if I had to farm it all out I would still do it.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Strawhat-
None of your business what I do with my guns!

Just kidding!

Thanks for the reply.
The main reason I want the con. instead of just buying a Mountian gun is because I have a 28-2 and a spare 29-2 cylinder and I like the thin tapered 6" barrel also.
I was thinking if I could get the barrel rebored and fitted back on the frame with the 29 cylinder it would make a nice handling gun.
Thanks for the tip on the smith in ohio ,I will be trying to get in contact with him.

Willy

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mg willy,if you find him please let me know. i've talked to a smith here in michigan and he says forget it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
StrawHat said:

Hello
I too am wanting to make a conversion of a model 28 into a .45 ACP. I have the barrels all ready, and have a choice of making it a slim Target barrel or the later Heavy Barrel all I need is the frame and cylinder.. Hammerdown

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hammerdown,

Now you are just showing off!

I understand wanting the N frame conversion. With well polished barrels like those, I would think a M27 conversion would be appropriate. Or is a trip to Fords in the future for your 28?

I wonder who else at GBO has an "N" frame conversion? Might make a good thread.

StrawHat

·
Registered
507 Posts
StrawHat said:
Hammerdown,

Now you are just showing off!

I understand wanting the N frame conversion. With well polished barrels like those, I would think a M27 conversion would be appropriate. Or is a trip to Fords in the future for your 28?

I wonder who else at GBO has an "N" frame conversion? Might make a good thread.

StrawHat

Hello StrawHat
I managed to find BOTH of these barrels at One Gun show. When it rains it Pours. I have a model 25-5 in great shape but at one point in it's life and Idiot squeezed off a round with a Squib load in the barrel. It was Not Noticeable from the Outside looking at it, But I saw it after cleaning it after I got it and fired it. It does not make it shoot worse and it is deadly accurate, But I know it has had a squib round and I don't like Guns with Issues. I will more than likely have the heavy Barrel mounted on my 25-5 with that Patridge sight and keep the Lighter Target profile barrel for a Builder .45ACP revolver. I paid $25.00 for the Lightweight barrel and bought it from Hamilton Bowen the famous Gun Builder. The heavy barrel does not have One mark in it and I had to give $75.00 for it, But considered myself lucky in finding one let alone Two at one show. Now, I Have to Locate a -N-frame for a Builder handgun.. Hammerdown

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Over the years I have seen a lot of people convert from one caliber to another, but most often the cost of having it done is two-three times more than the value of the gun.
Sometimes i just want what i want, and i'm willing to work extra jobs or what ever and save until i can get what i want...

What i wanted, was a pretty much wore out M-19 i owned, converted to 44 spl... I found someone who i thought did excelent work and could do it property. We agreed on a price for what i wanted done, and i sent him the gun and a down payment. To get the "rest of the money", i agreed to fly out in a helocopter to a crashed airplane in the bush and live there untill the owners decided how to retrive it... Now, that may sound like easy money, untill you factor in that it was winter time in Alaska, and dipping to 15 below zero every night! I lived "without heat" and had to stay on site 24/7 as long as it took!!

I slept in that plane night after night, with the wind howleing like **** EVERY night, shakeing the be-jesus out of that plane makeing it hard to get any sleep at all.

Living in 15 below zero in an unheated aluminum tube isn't exactly a piece of cake, and i'm the only one who would do it because of the temps... but i got what i wanted and that's all i cared about!

And, here it is some 25 years later, and i don't care what it's worth!

DM

·
Registered
557 Posts
Drillingman,

Spokhandguns?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sounds like a good time to be sure. however what a reward. nice lookin revolver. great caliber to shoot.dan

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Hammerdown said:
StrawHat said:

Hello
I too am wanting to make a conversion of a model 28 into a .45 ACP. I have the barrels all ready, and have a choice of making it a slim Target barrel or the later Heavy Barrel all I need is the frame and cylinder.. Hammerdown

Get in tpuch with Clymers and they can supply reamers to do your existing cylinder. I did one way back when and then crazily traded it away?

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
I love the .44 Special. Unless your Blackhawk is an Old Model or a 50th Anniv. model you may as well buy a Super Blackhawk to shoot .44 Specials in. It's the same size and weight as a .357 New Model Blackhawk.

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
StrawHat, so is your pistol .45ACP or .44 special?

·
Registered
557 Posts
S.B. said:
StrawHat, so is your pistol .45ACP or .44 special?
Mine is a 45 ACP.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Back in the 70s, when model 27s and 28s were readily available, I had a model 27 re-barreled with a 6.5 inch model 24 barrel and re chambered, etc by Nu-Line Guns in St. Louis. That was one elegant revolver. I also had 4 model 28s done by a gunsmith in Delaware who re-lined barrels. Unfortunately, I had a real bad day in November 78; I passed on a job transfer, got the wife pregnant, and got almost all my guns stolen in a burglary in the new house we had just moved into. Sometimes you should have stayed in bed...or on the couch! That was when Model 29s were scalped unmercifully and none to be found at any price.

Like the old model Ruger Black Hawk, this is an excellent base gun for conversion to 44 Special. Discontinuing 6.5 inch barrels--and model 27 and 28s--was not one of Smith and Wesson's most brilliant ideas. I saw my first model 27 in a used gun rack several weeks ago and it was gone in a day. Model 24s are even more of a rarity.

If you like the 44 Special, this gun has a certain mystique, like a Ruger 44 Flat Top compared to a 44 Super Black Hawk. If you don't, no one can make you understand or change your mind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts