Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my model 28 to the range for the first time in a long time about a week ago. When I put rounds in the cylinder, it wouldn't cock single action or cycle double action. I could get it to work after opening and shutting the loaded cylinder a few times, but sometimes it it would only cock with some force applied to the hammer. Works just fine without rounds in the cylinder. Has anyone ever had this happen? What could be the problem?

·
Administrator
26,165 Posts
If it works without rounds and not with them the rounds are the problem. Examine them in detail both in and out of the gun to determine what the problem with them is. I'd bet it's either you didn't size them all the way to the base or the bullet is the problem. See if each round is fully seating in the chambers I suspect they are not. This is not all that uncommon and I've had it happen plenty of times. You just have to look at each round that fails to fully seat to determine why.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check the rounds like Graybeard said for the rims to seat all the way to the cylinder. If the rims touch the cylinder, check to see if your primers have been seated flush or slightly deep into the primer pocket. If your primer pockets were not cleaned or flat on the bottom your primers will stick out just enough to maybe cause your problem.

DAG

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
As already mentioned, out-of-spec ammo can cause that cylinder tightness and failure to rotate/cock hammer.

Another possibility is dried grease, oil, or dirt under the extractor binding cylinder movement. Try cleaning the gun, and inspecting the moving parts.

HTH
John

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds right, but the reason I didn't suspect the rounds in the first place is that they are factory loads. Magtech 158 grain JFP. Are Magtech bullets that bad? If they are coming from the factory that way, Magtech has some problems.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing I forgot to mention. After I got the hammer to cock for the first round, I could fire the rest of the rounds in the cylinder no problem. It was just hard getting it to cock that first time with a new load of fresh rounds.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
aaahhhh....

Firing residue in the chambers from shooting lots of .38 Specials can prevent easy chambering of .357 Magnum rounds. Clean and check your chambers!

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Had the same problem with mine. The crane was bent and the cylinder was out of alignment and the rounds in the cylinder made it worse. When I got it to fire it re aligned it for a while.
When dry firing the gun one chamber was always a lot tougher.
Took it to a gunsmith and had parts reworked and it's been great since. It's even my house gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts