Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you use or have used the Model 37 Winchester in bird hunting or other game?
Thoughts or comments are welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wyo.Coyote Hunter,
Thanks for the reply!
Yes I am aware of the collectors value of this gun. It was bought for my Grandpa by my daddy and uncle a few years before my Grandpa passed away. The gun has been fired only a few times probably less than 10 shots,so the gun is in excellent shape. It was purchased new.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had bought a red letter 37 in a 20ga with intentions of use'n it to hunt squirrels with but every one advused me not to. "It's worth to much,it's a collectors piece" So I traded it off and got about $50 more than I had in it . With all the hype about ther mystical shootin abilities I wanted to see for myself and wound up never even shoot'n it.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
They might have some collector value but compared to the value of getting to hunt with one of your grandfather's guns I don't think that would matter to me.

I'd take the gun hunting and pretend grandad was along.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pastorp said:
They might have some collector value but compared to the value of getting to hunt with one of your grandfather's guns I don't think that would matter to me.

I'd take the gun hunting and pretend grandad was along.

Regards,
pastorp,
I agree that using the gun would be neat knowing that my dad and grandpa had used this gun once or twice. I will also check the serial# and see what year it was manufactured and see what its actual value might be.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Streak, you said it's a 12 ga. The 28ga is really the rare one to find.

I have a 16ga I use occasionally. They work fine if you have a single shot mindset. You just do all your hunting before you shoot. ;D

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pastorp,
I have shot a semi-automatic 12 essentially all of my life until the latter part of the 1990`s when I switched over to a 12 gauge pump. So just to make things a liittle more sporting I thought I would give the single shot a chance! Probably will only hunt doves, squirrels. ducks, and the odd quail.
Naturally will probably for the most part use low brass loads!Plus the weight is lighter than the pump and I want to try and see how the still hunting works with lighter gun. As I am pushing in another year the 70 year level.

·
Premium Member
3,517 Posts
I have some experience. I doubt your gun has crazy collector's value. The 12s are easy to come by and assuming it's a field model, not too rare. If it has a poly-choke there is no collector's value.

The 37 was, and is, a great gun. It's mechanics are different from the more modern BPS but that is the gun often compared to. Bottom eject, no gas or empties flying into your face or those of your hunting partners. Unfortunately, looks can be deceiving. Unlike the BPS it can be somewhat easy to jam and is very difficult to take apart. Forget a field repair of the action. Although I've never weighed one, they feel light and easy to carry when compared to other pumps.

If it has personal value to you, I'd shoot it, enjoy it, and save it for your kids or grandkids or nephew or whatever. Don't get scared off by it's "collector's value". I also wouldn't consider it a perfect go-to gun for whatever hunting situation may arise.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
I've hunted with one. I actually prefer my NEF Pardner.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
The sheet metal hammer & the semi-hammerless design leave me cold.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well around the week of Nov 23, I will give it a workout,hopefully on some live game!
Stii have not heard from any members that are currently using one of these for hunting.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
I just sold mine a couple of months ago and I hunted with it last season. It's just a single shot shotgun and it kills stuff as well as the next one.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Streak,

I've used several over the years to hunt with. They are light so they can really recoil if you use heavy loads. Also they tend to be a tad light in the barrell. In short they may not swing as naturally as you were used to with your autoloader. I guess what I'm saying is for shooting still targets they are fine but for wing shooting you better pay attention to what your doing especially your follow through.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pastorp said:
Streak,

I've used several over the years to hunt with. They are light so they can really recoil if you use heavy loads. Also they tend to be a tad light in the barrell. In short they may not swing as naturally as you were used to with your autoloader. I guess what I'm saying is for shooting still targets they are fine but for wing shooting you better pay attention to what your doing especially your follow through.

Regards,
pastorp,
Follow through is the "name of the game"!
Before I ever had my own shotgun, when I was about 13 my neighbor about the same age had a Model 37 and he and I were out shooting and I had the gun and a few quail flushed and I centered one going straight away. We then went to flush the singles, and missed two crossing shots but finally I lucked out on a quartering away shot. So that was my first lesson in follow through!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.