Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2nd Model 97. Both have the factory trigger work for 3lb. They are crisp triggers and better than most guns. The factory will not send out guns with less than 3lbs. I use mine for target work and do not carry them around or hunt. I wish that I had a 1.5 to 2lb trigger on both as this would aid accurate target work. I have a Contender with a safe 1.5lb trigger and it is worlds better for accurate shooting. What is required to lower the pull weight on a FA? I doubt stoning and polishing would be needed as the pull is crisp and creap free already. I like full mainspring tension for sure strikes. Is the answer the trigger spring? I doubt anyone makes a weaker spring like they do for Colts & Rugers? Can any other brand be used in a FA or can the stock one be stretched or bent to lower pull? I feel sure that competition shooters using the FA have done - or had done - something to lower the pull weight?

·
Administrator
26,165 Posts
Maybe but I've had several and never yet seen a need to alter the setting that came with them. I'd not even think of altering the pull on one of my FAs. Maybe it's just me but I'd not feel safe with one any lighter.

I once owned an Anchutz with an 8 oz trigger and over half the bullets fired in that rifle while I owned it went off at the wrong time. It had a two stage trigger that required a fair deal of take up before it was ready to fire. Most times it fired without me even realizing the take up had been taken up. It didn't take me long to get rid of that rifle just because of the too light trigger.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
A lot can be done working with the spring. The springs are different than other revolvers I have worked on, but a little experimentation can make worlds of difference.

If you are not familiar with working on triggers and springs, I would not advise you to pull the FA apart on your own. As you remove the grip frame, you have two loose springs that are going to be moving toward the least resistance. They may not fly away, but if you don't know how they come out, they can be a bear to put back in.

I have an FA in 357 that came to me with a trigger job. I would say it is probably in the single digit ounces. I have done my own work on my 41 and 22LR. Both are probably in the 1 pound range.

Like GB said, they can go off when you are not expecting it. All three of mine are used in competition. I am very cautious and know where the gun is pointed before my finger even gets close to the trigger.

I had a heck of a time hunting this year because my Savage 270 has probably a 5lb trigger. I would squeeze and squeeze and nothing. I am now too used to light triggers. I will have to do some work on that one.

Good luck and stay safe.

Steve :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts