Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
That cannon has an amazing level of detail. 1,696 individual pieces in the carriage and limber.

·
Super Moderator
16,843 Posts
I saw these Palmer armories' guns when I was in South Africa. Incredible detail and most live firing. Museum quality on par with SeaCoast Artillery' Museum pieces. Incredibly expensive back then (2006-2008).

I thought the gentleman who made them passed on. Wonder if this is one of his coming up for sale or if perhaps someone has picked his mantle?.

·
Registered
217 Posts
There is still a nice website to see, it is www.palmersarmoury.co.za Looks like they are still selling cannons, including this one and both the "Long Tom" and "Long Cecil". Incredible models, astronomically expensive of course. Also a section of articles, including one on how to do "mercurial gilding" - a process of applying gold finish by dissolving the gold in mercury. Never heard of that process before, and while it is basically a do-it-yourself guide, a good portion of it is devoted to warning how dangerous it is! Anyway, definitely worth having a look.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There is still a nice website to see, it is www.palmersarmoury.co.za Looks like they are still selling cannons, including this one and both the "Long Tom" and "Long Cecil". Incredible models, astronomically expensive of course. Also a section of articles, including one on how to do "mercurial gilding" - a process of applying gold finish by dissolving the gold in mercury. Never heard of that process before, and while it is basically a do-it-yourself guide, a good portion of it is devoted to warning how dangerous it is! Anyway, definitely worth having a look.
Apparently the mercury gilding was the process used on late 18th century swords with blue and gilt blades. They are amazingly beautiful works of art, but apparently the craftsmen had a short lifespan and by early 19th century, styles changed (or the artisans dies off) and the are collector items today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts