Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
modern Church music?

MHO. I do not believe a set of drums should be in a Church. So called modern music is far from what God intended for the uplifting of the Spirit. Not good.
Bands in a Church. Nothing but show with no Value to anyone.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Re: modern Church music?

I agree, I watched our youngest get baptized in a church where they hand out EAR PLUGS because the music was so loud! She was in college at that time. I've heard it called 7-11 music, seven words repeated 11 times!

·
Registered
42,140 Posts

7-11, yep, I can't stand it. I refer to it as yuppie stuff. I love the old standards. The so called modern stuff does nothing for me but make my blood pressure go up. I think they call it praise music. POWDERMAN. :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
7,977 Posts

I went through a phase in the 90's. Praise and Worship.
I'm finding that I want meat. What I like about some of the older stuff is the depth of teaching there.

However, there are a few people who are writing what I'd call hymns. This is not the modern Praise and Worship stuff but Hymns with some deep theology. Thought provoking.

I posted a link in Inspiring Thoughts. Might want to give it a look. We sang that song and 2 others for part of a communion service today.

lc

·
Registered
42,140 Posts

An old farmer decided to visit a different Church one Sunday, his wife wasn't feeling well so she stayed home. When he got home she asked, well, how was it?? Well, it were different. She, what hymns did ya sing?? He, well, we didn't exactly sing any. She, what you mean?? He said, well it were called praise music. She, whats that?? The fellow thinks a bit then says. If I came home and said, Martha, the cows is in the corn, now that there would be a hymn. But if I came home and said, Martha, Martha Martha Martha, the cows, the red cows, the brown cows, the black cows is in the corn corn corn, the cows is in the corn corn corn, then got a chant going and repeated it about 15-20 times, that there is a praise song. WE left a Church that changed drasticly when a new yuppie pastor took over. I'd sung in that choir for 15 + years. He disbanded the choir and brought in his praise team led by a well known homosexual he figured would appeal to the youth. Had to get out of there. I miss that old Church the way it used to be. POWDERMAN. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
9,618 Posts

I am sure at one point in time as organs, pianos, guitars, and other instruments were invented and brought into the church, people will protest. Church evolves and the music and hyms reflec the times and the popular music, gathering members. Other concussive instruments are already used in church. Bells The call to worship.
If the drums bring people to worship, what is the problem? If a drummer wants to play in the church and honor god, does it matter?
A christmas hymn- the little drummer boy who has nothing for Jesus but a song on his drum.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

It matters to me. I dont like it but that is why I started the topic with... MHO. To any that like it, I say go for it... To me, it completely removes the Spirit of the meeting.
I think it is utterly of zero value. MHO.
Even though there have been many advances in musical instruments from the big and loud to the small and quiet. The piano and organ have been a constant in most small Churches. That is what I like. If I want to go see metallica I'll buy tickets.

·
Registered
416 Posts

I prefer the more traditional myself, but anything the gives glory to God and appeals to the younger folks is blessed also.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts

While I don't like modern 'music'...I must also admit that I am not a modern person. I have been to services where such repetitious songs were sung and I could barely sit through one of them. That being said, we are still a nation of choices and if somebody wants to 'worship' that way let them, God can sort it out (if that's even necessary)
I will not attend where this type music is employed since I can't hack the stuff...just too grating upon the nerves; and it is just as grating in a non-church situation. As far as arguing against drums, scripture gives us only partial description of the instruments used in "making a joyful sound" . I suppose there is a greater chance that drums were used...as opposed to the piano or organ. ...And is David's lyre really that far from a guitar ? I must say that, even though I prefer the piano and organ..

I was delighted to hear the description of 7/11 music.."seven words repeated 11 times" Thanks, I'll add that to my lexicon..very descriptive..

I don't like the rock or metallica influence...so I won't knowingly attend anything having such sounds..especially when involved with any church activity.

BTW: It does leave, at least in MY mind, questions of 'doing things decently and in order" (1 Cor 14:40) and the use in prayer (and praise) of "vain repetitions" (Matt 6:7)

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts

I don't like it and cannot endure it long.

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts

I don't really care for drums in Country music, and prefer a really good bass, HOWEVER. As for instruments in Church, I personally switch back and forth from an acoustic guitar to an electric guitar depending on the song I'm singing. I write much of my own stuff, and also do traditional hymns. It is more about the WAY IT'S PRESENTED, than the instruments themselves.[/color]
As for the praise music, or as I also sometimes call it: 7-11 music. Look up the word CHANT, and then do a little Bible study of your own concerning the term CHANT.[/color]
Duck in some ways is right about the change in Churches, but he paints with a broad brush in some areas. Some changes in the Church IS NOT GOOD, as it is either doctrinal change, or leads to doctrinal change, i.e. from solid doctrine, to convenient doctrine[/color].

·
Registered
42,140 Posts

A friend in N Carolina says he plays trombone in his Churches 78 member orchestra. We enjoy visiting different Churches but the ones playing to the yuppie crowd we only visit once. I reckon I fit the description of the old song, GIVE ME THAT OLD TIME RELIGION, it's good enough for me. Anybody ever TRY to listen to some of this so called Christian rock?? Rap crap is still rap crap no matter what you call it. POWDERMAN. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

To me Dee is right on the money. It's about how it is presented.
I have heard the guitar used that was pleasing and soft with the song. I have also heard the violin used that was soothing and very pleasant. It seemed when they were used it was by those that were very knowledgeable about the pleasing effects of the Spirit in a Church setting. MHO.
So yes Dee I agree. Presentation is everything. MHO. TO EACH HIS OWN. MHO.

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts

There are many TYPES of Christian music, and I am really old fashioned in that respect. Take so called Christian Rock. Rock music is by nature confrontationally "in your face" music, that by design draws attention to the performer, and his or her, "performance". That is precisely why I don't care for "Christian Rock", which also seems repetitive.[/color]
I write much of my own music, and mine are usually about occurrences in my life, or those occurrences in others lives I have seen, and the changes in mine, and others, that Christ have made, and or strengthened.[/color]
In other words, they are sorta ballads, that tell stories in regards to God in someones life. I try to write these songs in such a manner as the listener can shut their eyes and see the picture I am trying to paint in their minds, but always point to God for the Glory. It works well most times when I do my job. The rest is just noise in MHO.[/color]

·
Registered
19,177 Posts

loud music is distracting to me. but I do like soft music that keeps us "tone deaf" folks in tune.

·
Registered
42,140 Posts

Our Pastor plays the guitar and sometimes he brings his banjo, I really like that. Our piano player quit the piano almost 2 yrs ago and now plays an accordian, I hate it. Kinda like trying to sing along with bagpipes. Yesterday he was not there so the pastor just played. I enjoyed singing again, I can't with the accordian and quit trying well over a year ago. POWDERMAN. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
44,135 Posts

Dee said:
There are many TYPES of Christian music, and I am really old fashioned in that respect. Take so called Christian Rock. Rock music is by nature confrontationally "in your face" music, that by design draws attention to the performer, and his or her, "performance". That is precisely why I don't care for "Christian Rock", which also seems repetitive.[/color]
I write much of my own music, and mine are usually about occurrences in my life, or those occurrences in others lives I have seen, and the changes in mine, and others, that Christ have made, and or strengthened.[/color]
In other words, they are sorta ballads, that tell stories in regards to God in someones life. I try to write these songs in such a manner as the listener can shut their eyes and see the picture I am trying to paint in their minds, but always point to God for the Glory. It works well most times when I do my job. The rest is just noise in MHO.[/color]
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Dee;
I like that attitude..give the Glory to God ! Folks in our church are inclined to applaud for performances..I am slow to do so. It is not that I don't appreciate a great display of talent, and not because as a non-musical person ..I am jealous. It's just that I like to give all the glory to God. Am I right or wrong ?

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts

NOPE![/color]

·
Registered
10,172 Posts

I'm 71. I first started attending a small church where my 15 year old sweety attended and two years later I walked the isle, a year later we walked the same isle with shiney new rings. I had already learned to love old hymns,"good" music and good singing. Still do.

That wife of 52 years is still a church musician (piano and organ), music I love, but I don't have a knee-jerk dislike for other instruments in church, including drums, if they are played well. Wife likes "Praise and Worship" music a bit more than me but I like some of it. Thing is, there is a very wide range of P&W just as there is with more traditional music - if it's up lifting or glorifies God, I like it, if it's just a near mindless rock concert beat with chanting and repitition, I don't. Weird thing is, my otherwise very bright grandkids do! So, I guess I can stand it if some of the better new music reaches others as well as my traditional preferences reach me. (And even I don't care for the REALLY OLD Georgorian chants! ;) )

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.