Graybeard Outdoors banner

Modern Fletching is Smaller?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  flmason 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Been watching a lot of Youtube archery vids lately. Mostly to get ideas on building bows and arrows. One thing I've noticed... seems modern arrows have much smaller fletching than old school arrows.

Has there been some breakthrough or did someone figure out a formula for just what the right size of a fletch should be?

Are there some kind of rules of thumb for fletch sizing?

#2 ·
The biggest reason is because old school fletching had to counter the effects of old school fixed blade broadheads which tried to steer the arrow from the front. Now most everyone uses the mechanical broadheads which have less of a planing effect.

Bruce

#4 ·
Know if there's any formulas that relate fletch size to arrow weight, stiffness, draw wieght, something else?

Seems like an interesting area for research.

But would seem, that erring on the the larger size might be best if making one's own arrows.

#6 ·
The 2" Blazer style fletching has become the industry standard. It's more forgiving in wind, does not slow the arrow down nearly as much as feathers and are much more durable than either feathers or longer vanes. Unless you are shooting old style large fixed broadheads, the 2"ers are the way to go, imo. I use Slick Trick fixed blades, not mechanical. They fly just like my field points out to about 40, then I have to adjust a bit. I will never go back to long fletchings...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.