Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
The problem is that you have to shoot one or the other. You really can't switch back and forth.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
olsmokey,
i use hornady 40gr v-max moly's in my hornet. and they do a very good job.
only problem is that stuff gets everywhere when handloading. thats just another...
"price you pay for accuracy" ;D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your right about the stuff getting everywhere, I think a pair of nitril gloves might be in order when reloading these. Did some checking on other sites to get their opinion on moly's and I got kind of a mix bag. Some guys luv them others hate them. If the moly is designed to coat the inside of the barrel and fill the little imperfections left by tooling, thats a good thing, right? Most agreed that they developed less barrel heat and lower pressure, which allowed them to shoot more shots without having to let the barrel cool. and that cleaning a coated barrel was a snap. No copper fouling whatsoever. But they had to load hotter to get same vel. Do to less friction in the barrel. I can live with that. Some said they had trouble with barrels gumming up and it was a bear to clean. One guy said he had 5K rds. through an A-R and other than an alcohol patch at the end of the day, thats all he ever did to clean it. Said it would still shoot 3/4 in. at 100 yds. Another guy said he uses them and switches back and forth with no loss of accuracy. He was using A-Maxes coated and uncoated. Would like to here some more opinions, good and bad, before I go throw a couple hundred rds. down the pipe. thanks guys Dave

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
i have seen alot of different types of moly coated bullets, some were factory done and some were done by the handloader. you can buy the moly to DIY...
i stick with the horny molys... probably the best there is, in my onion... ;D
check with the people that said "barrels gumming up and a bear to clean"
and ask if they moly treat them themselves.
i have never had a problem with that using the v-max moly. and i only shoot them,
no need to use anything else. but thats me !!! ;D

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I switch back and forth and have had no issues. I shoot them in a 7mm Rem Mag and swith back to non-moly with no adverse effects. Not sure what others are seeing for negatives but like I said I see none....

LM

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks gendoc; Now that you mention it alot of them were DIY coated. They proably thought that if a little is good a lot would be better. I've got some moly A-maxes and I think I'll give em a try. Let you know how they do. thanks Dave

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
i shoot the 40 in my hornet, and the 60 in my 223
both are excellent performers.... sounds like a load configuration problem or attachments.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
olsmoke,
as with all my rifles, i handload'um on fire!!!!
can't tell ya bout tha slow movers... ;)

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
olsmokey said:
Out of curiosity, do these rifles perform better with hotter loads or milder ones? Or doesn't it matter. Dave
It depends.....Most guns are more accurate with modest loads. Rarely warmer loads shoot better but they are almost always unnecessary and hard on the gun. You can't jump back and forth between moly & not moly. It's gotta be one or the other.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I have been using moly plated bullets since its inception by NECO.
Non of the spray on or quick Moly jobs are any good. When the job is done corectly the plating does not come off. For a test I have carried some plated bullet in my pocket for several weeks
non of the Moly came off. It is not adviseable to switch from Moly
to non Moly bullets since it creates layers of copper and moly and traps moisture between layers and could cause rust.

Se my process.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/MolyCoating.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.