Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things have been a bit hectic this week. We made the decison this week to retire March 1st. There are a bunch off loose ends to tie up, had to get letters sent out notifing those who need notifed. The Siege of Ladysmith Historic rifle shoot is next weekend so this weekend was final sight in and ammo making weekend. Paper work to do to bring back 6 rifles. Arrange for the dogs to shipped home. Then the big surprise in response to one of my notificactions. A job very lucrative job offer and a very kind job referral. Wasn't expecting that. Had to respond to the lucrative offer fast...said no. Great money, good use of my skills,in Iraq. The job referral well that sounds great, part-time case by case as a Compliance Analyst Consultant. I can live with that, but it means don't send the white shirt and ties to Goodwill.

So if I have been a bit slow in getting to things I said I would, please for give me.

Tonight I have to write a letter to some folks in Montana to start negotiations on the property we want to buy...it will have the rifle an cannon range for the Montana Cannon shoot...might even be able to do a test run summer 2008.

I am a bit afraid of retirement. Sure there is the concern of living on a retirement income. For the past few years the friends around me have all been retired. They are always very busy. They are always on the go doing something. Never any relaxation. But I can deal with that. No the real worry is a bit closer to home...the wife. I made the comment, what am I going to do with myself. Her response, " if you need something to do, I have a list." The look in here eyes was frightening.

So I guess for my own well being I better get to planning cannon shoot 2009!

·
7,127 Posts
My own observations of retirees is that the ones with lots to do have long retirements, the ones who start drinking beer and watching TV all day die off pretty quickly. Be happy you'll have plenty to do.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
This bit of news brings up visions of the "HULK" and the "Jolly Green Giant". Our condition, not yours. Yes, that's right, we are GREEN with envy!! Bravo, we sure wish you and your family well. George is certainly correct in his observations, but we just don't see you joining the rocking chair crowd anytime soon. If you need some help making or setting-up targets next summer, let us know. After all, well, we will be almost..........neighbors. :) :) :) :) :)

Congratulations!

Mike and Tracy

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
it will have the rifle an cannon range for the Montana Cannon shoot
That is OUTSTANDING ! I think we are all envious. I wish you were in our neighbor hood., and another thing I wish.,is I am wishing you well and many years of success in your future.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If one does not want to commit suicide, always have something to do.---Voltaire ;D ;D ;D ;D I guess i could always find ya a Bible verse or two if ya want. Who knows how things will work out with re-tirement............ but ya have friends! wishing you the best and may God guide you in all your decisions.............. I'd like to think that i'll be able to make the 2009 Montana GBO Shoot,something to plan on anyway!!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Cool, have fun with retirement!

Hmmm...if I drive to Montana in 2009, I can swing by North TX and do a bit of shooting in the desert plains, then stop by Mike and Tracy's with some BBQ and do some rifling and shooting, then all head up to Montana for a few days, then do it all in reverse. Sounds good to me. :)

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Double said:
Things have been a bit hectic this week. We made the decison this week to retire March 1st. ...
I was wondering if that wasn't in the plans. Retiring not-on-the-end-of-the-year has income limiting implications with social security for the first year, but you've probably taken that into consideration.

Knowing you, you will find no end of responsibilities to assume, that's good.

Montanna? Hmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Lance, Tim, No need to worry about Double D at all. He is a man with a plan, a man with goals to accomplish. And, what's just as important, he's the type of person to go out there and Do IT. Mike and I know he will succeed; we are absolutely confidant in that belief. The guy we really worry about is the African spear salesman who filled all of his orders completely and promptly over the years. What will he do now? How will he feed his family? His biggest customer is suddenly leaving Africa. Will he have to begin the long trek west to Kimberly and the mines or perhaps north to Limpopo and the Venetia? We worry about the spear vendor. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Don, You are welcome anytime. We promise a 50 cent tour at the very least. Bring some Texas BBQ; you will get the DELUXE TOUR!!

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually the spear salesman passed away last March, no source for spears, no need to stick around...Mike would have loved that line.

I have been rethinking some of my retirement activities. Take the rocking chair---, I might do that, don't you think one of Tropico Swivels would look good on it?

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Cannons compliment almost any decor, from ships to seacoast forts to government buildings to public parks, from private estates to humble porches. Why not rocking chairs too? If you could learn to reduce the prairie dog population a bit with your swivel gun while rocking, well you might possibly be able to out-shoot the pirate, himself. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Think about THAT!

Mike and Tracy

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
O.K........ here's the plan, i was born in Texas, spent a few summers growing up at my grandpa's in Colorado. never been to Montana.........so if i show up at Mike and Tracy's at the same time Don shows up with the BBQ, recon ya guys will let me follow ya to Montana. that's after we eat the BBQ and do some shooting ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
642 Posts
Double said:
No PD's in that area, but we do have Belding ground squirrels--gophers! I have shot at them and they are always gone after every shot!
"GONE", like gone back down the hole or gone from a bullet causing them to explode? ;D

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Blaster, You're sounding a little like a parent who quizzes his teenage daughter about the details of her recent date. Vague generalities are the very best you can expect! I know, because I've been there.
Double said:
No PD's in that area, but we do have Belding ground squirrels--gophers! I have shot at them and they are always gone after every shot!
DD, We know EXACTLY what you mean! Back in the good 'ole days, late 70s, Mike, Oklahoma Dave and I would go out to "harvest" PDs. Dave was an artist with his .257 Roberts and Mike was deadly with his Rem 6mm, but only Tracy dragged a cannon out to the PD field. Actually, it was a .45-70 Rem. Rolling Block with a heavy barrel. It weighed 17 lbs. total. If I doped the wind correctly, the dog AND the top of the burrow would BOTH disappear in an explosion of chunky, dry clay fragments and a cloud of dust. I shot 560 gr., big banana bullets from that cannon and when they hit, the dog, as you say, was just gone, so I must have hit him, don't you think?

Lance, Sounds like a good plan to us!! You won't be seeing any real fancy woodworking equipment, but I think we do a pretty fair job with what we have. The rifling machine should be interesting though and maybe we can drag out that deep hole wood drilling bit and fixture we made to bore STRAIGHT, 1.5" Dia., 34" long holes in white oak. Looking forward to giving you the complete, DELUXE tour. Don will have already paid for it, so you may as well take advantage! Drag Tim along if you possibly can. We would sure like to see him too.

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Should we do this Cannon shoot, late stayers and early arrivers would be well equipped if they brought a scoped sighted .22 Lr and 500 rounds of ammo per day of late staying or early arriving. Couple hundred rounds of .22 Center fire for the rock chucks would be helpful also.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Double said:
Should we do this Cannon shoot, late stayers and early arrivers would be well equipped if they brought a scoped sighted .22 Lr and 500 rounds of ammo per day of late staying or early arriving. Couple hundred rounds of .22 Center fire for the rock chucks would be helpful also.

WHAT a DREAM!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts