Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got finished watching Monte. Great movie! My bride enjoyed it and said she could go another time watching it.
Caugth sight of Shorty's 1887 lever action shotgun. Couldn't tell about Monte's lever action, although it was a big bore one--he was loading some pretty mean cartridges there at the beginning of the gunfight.
Planning on doing this again tomorrow night. Might just wear my cowboy duds, too.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It 's an 1886 Win. but it's chambered for 50-110-400. The big 50 as it was known. Tom Selleck owns that gun. It was restored or refinished . Nice looking gun though with one heck of an impact.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, noticed on a closeup at the end that Shorty was cross eye dominate. He had the revolver in his right hand and was using his left eye to sight it. This was during the gunfight with Monte.

And were his revolver grips always white? They were at the end but not sure about them in the beginning. Guess I'll have to watch the show again. :lol:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the size of the rifle shells, you got to remember that all I use are .38's and .45LC so anything bigger looks gigantic to me. :grin:

Notice Crossfire trail is on before Monty so might have to watch that, too just to get into the mood.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wait a minute Double D. You can't get off that easy. In a previous post you said you had a 24 inch screen. Now you state you have a 21 inch screen. Which is it? With a 24 inch screen you should have identified the gun as a 1886. If you in fact have a 21 inch screen I will understand how the gun could have been misidentified as a 1894. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I picked up on the shotgun real fast but if you have been around those that wear leather on the job, around a ranch, or out in the woods the leather worn on the movie was to fresh.(New) It looked like a duty officer was ready to make an inspection.

I even quit working on the boat to watch the movie. Enjoyed it. They sure need to make more Western's.

Siskiyou

·
Registered
237 Posts
I watched both of those movies a couple of times last weekend, and just may have to do so again in the near future. The Duke is great and all, but sometimes a guy gets tired of seeing characters using 1873 Colts and 1894 Winchesters in a movie that's supposed to be taking place in 1867.

Now, far be it from me to shaprshoot such efforts at realism, but did anyone else notice that at the beginning of the gunfight with Shorty at the end of Monte Walsh, that Monte chambered a round into the Winchester, then topped off the magazine with a cartridge from his belt? I've never used that particular model, but on my Winchester '94, it's not possible to top off the magazine once the loading gate is closed.

Was that a technical "oops" in an otherwise awesome movie, or am I a bonehead? Or does it simply mean that the character is so good, that he only keeps one round in the magazine?

I know...picky picky picky. I guess though that says a lot about a movie it that's all I can find to nit pick. :lol:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Always enjoy watching a good western. Seems even the bad guys in a western have more morality and honor than the good guys in our current action pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Mainspring, I have never heard of not being able to top off an '86, but then I don't remember having tried it. So, I just took my '86 outside and tried it, no problem, another round in the mag just like it's supposed to.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well heck. I guess that makes me a bonehead. :eek:

Really though, on my '94 .30/30, that isn't possible. Once you shove the last round into the magazine post the loading gate, it pops back about half the length of the loading gate. The only way to stuff more rounds into the magazine is to either drain it by working the action, or use the tip of a knife between the loading gate and the frame to shove the round back into the magazine, then while maintaining pressure on the round, push the loading gate in.

Guess I just assumed that all Winchesters were like that. Maybe mine has been broken since my Dad got it at a State auction in the 50s. :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts