Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much faith do you place in phases of the moon and hunting?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
None, When there is a lot of moonlight at night there will be less daytime deer movement. When you have dark cloudy nights there will be more daytime movement.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Some faith, but really only bowhunting. Gun season here in WI boils down to weather and surrounding area hunting pressure....atleast where we hunt.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I am aware of the phases of the moon, but when I am ready to do some serious hunting it has not impact. There are "X" number of days to hunt during the deer season and I will not pass up a hunting day because there is a full moon. I do believe that hunting is better during the dark of the moon, along with cold weather. This years deer came six days before the full moon.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I like the charts when its suspose to be at the peak movement. Call me crazy but most of my deer have been killed in that time period and I follow them. Some days I don't and I don't see many

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Definately more natural movement around a full moon.
Some seem to confuse MOONLIGHT with FULL MOON.
I think overcast with a full moon would be perfect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know that I used a program that I bought ( www.outdooroutlook.com ) to analyze over 13,000 trail camera pictures from last season to this season. The program is really easy, (three clicks, 10 seconds and the following graph was made). It reads the time/date, calculates the moon phase and graphs all from the picture file. For some reason there is a peak around the last quarter. Another graph shows me that the most daytime pictures were taken then as well.

Johnnie

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
can you give me the link to that site

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
:D My mother's family was Cherokee Indian, she believed the moon phase had a lot to do with several things, including game, and fish.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Well I took a look at the Chart and Tomorrow morning is suppose to be the best time. The wind is not the way I want it but if you ain't out their then you definitely ain't seeing anything. Anyway its suppose to be 36 in the morning getting up to 68. So ill be out their all day and the wind is light and variable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts