Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
51,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some more bullets from Ranger Rick to test in the 45-120 and maybe the 45-70 if I can find data for it, the .458" 720gr WFNGC, there isn't much room for powder in the 45-70 case, so I don't know if that's gonna work out or not. even with my throated barrels. Both are seated to just kiss the lands. Richard provided data for the 450-120 with velocities to 1479fps using XMR 4350, 1250fps with AA5744.

Tim
http://www.lsstuff.com/ranger-rick/

Shown with a Remington 405gr for perspective

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Tim

Did someone turn loose some of those big gray , long nose critters in your back yard again ? ;D

stimpy

·
Super Moderator
51,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya never know when the Portland zoo is gonna have a break out!!

I've never been a plinker, that's why the big bullets are fun, I guess. ;D

Tim

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Pesky Dinosaurs in the garden again?

Gotta get me some of those...

·
Super Moderator
51,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rbergum95 said:
thats a chipmunk load if i ever saw one!!
Yeah, it weighs about as much as a chipmunk!! ;D

·
Super Moderator
51,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't be "playin" with em if I didn't have the lead sled, believe me!! :eek:

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Tim, you are slowly but surely edging toward archery with these' looooog boooolits'. Are you sure you wouldn't rather be shootin' arrows?

Mc

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm guessing that missile has "stages" and "boosters"? ;D

Let us know how those monsters print...and, I'm curious to know what kind of free recoil figures you're dealing with.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Let me defend Tim, you never know when you may have a pachyderm in the petunias or a leopard in the lillys, hippo in the hydrangea, or the dreaded aardvark in the angle breath. ;D Doug

·
Super Moderator
51,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL!!! Good one Doug, thanks!!! ;D

I won't know the recoil figure until I find out what kind of velocity I can get with em, but if I can get 1480fps, the recoil in an 8lb BC will be 65lbs, that''s in the ball park of a 458 Lott. :eek:

Here's a 45Colt round compared to this big honker!!

Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Tim, I do not think that heavy bullet will stabilize with 1-20" twist, what are you thinking ;) ;D ;D ;D You could just chuck at 'em ::)

·
Super Moderator
51,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does it matter? Can you imagine what that would do hitting sideways!! :eek:

It's not likely to stabilize in the 45-70 with so little powder charge, but in the 45-120, it might, I'll find out. :D

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
It is fun to try things ;D It is a conversation piece, that is for sure. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Tim would you mind standing that against may a 223 or 243 or some other round I may be familiar with. Or could you just measure it? Thanks Dale

·
Super Moderator
51,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's 1.676" long.

·
Super Moderator
51,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ran it thru a Greenhill calculator, says I need a 1:18" twist. :(

Tim

1 - 20 of 32 Posts