Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Claypipe wasn;t the only one having fun Saturday. My gun club was having an open house and invited me to bring my cannon. It was a beautiful day and kids really enjoy watching a cannon roar. I'll be updating my site in a couple of weeks. Right now I'm too busy.

I found that my Hern Coehorn mortar really lofts juice cans filled with concrete. The cans weighed a bit more than a pound. One ounce of Skirmish 1f BP lofted a can about 160 to 170 yards. 1.5 ounces was 240 to 260 yards. 2 and 3 ounce loads just sent them somewhere far away.

For now here are some frames from my camera's video mode:

My naval carriage, being low to the ground was not very kind to the native vegetation which was toasted black by the end of the day.

Steve

·
Registered
651 Posts
Awesome pics Steve !!!! What kind of a charge are you using in that naval carriage gun? Would be REALLY impressive at night.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
CrufflerSteve said:
..... 2 and 3 ounce loads just sent them somewhere far away. ....

SHAZAM! That explains that whistling sound going over through the trees from West to East. Probably hit the Atlantic Ocean.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Evil Dog said:
Awesome pics Steve !!!! What kind of a charge are you using in that naval carriage gun? Would be REALLY impressive at night.
That really nice fireball was from 2.5 ounces of powder with a pound of 'canister''. That was just a collection of ball cast for my C&B revolvers & muzzle stuffer rifles that had failed inspection wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil. It did quite job on a 4'X4' target I'd made out of scrap. By the 2nd round enough ball had hit the support members that it couldn't stay up anymore. The real charge must have been a nightmare for soldiers.

Steve

·
Registered
228 Posts
Cat Whisperer said:
Artillery - King of Battle.
Absolutely! And never forget that:

"Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl"

:-D :-D :-D

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
CAV Trooper said:
Cat Whisperer said:
Artillery - King of Battle.
Absolutely! And never forget that:

"Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl"

:-D :-D :-D

I learned both of those in FAOCS Class 6-72 at Ft. Sill, OK.

Thanks again to those of you who were paying taxes back then - I thoroughly enjoyed shooting all those bullets you paid for!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts