Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son shows up frequently in the afternoon with some brand of coffee for us to have a cup. A couple of days ago he brought in 8 O'clock coffee beans and ground some. For a change it was pretty good stuff. Stout but not bitter.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
My son shows up frequently in the afternoon with some brand of coffee for us to have a cup. A couple of days ago he brought in 8 O'clock coffee beans and ground some. For a change it was pretty good stuff. Stout but not bitter.
I been using 8 O clock for years , They have some new blends just out , One I am currently trying is called Alert , it high caffeine and very dark roast . Another they have added turmeric but I couldn't really tell there was any in it by taste .

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
In an effort to control my diet, I often have Carnation Instant Breakfast (chocolate milk mix) for breakfast. Sometimes I just mix it with skim milk as directed, but often as a variety, I do it differently.
I will take a pint mason jar, put a heaping teaspoon of instant coffee in the jar, an pour just enough hot water on it to completely turn it into solution..then fill halfway with milk.
Then I pit in the Carnation, cap it and shake it up..then add milk to nearly full and shake again.

I use the Mason jar, because they can take the heat & cold.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
In an effort to control my diet, I often have Carnation Instant Breakfast (chocolate milk mix) for breakfast. Sometimes I just mix it with skim milk as directed, but often as a variety, I do it differently.
I will take a pint mason jar, put a heaping teaspoon of instant coffee in the jar, an pour just enough hot water on it to completely turn it into solution..then fill halfway with milk.
Then I pit in the Carnation, cap it and shake it up..then add milk to nearly full and shake again.

I use the Mason jar, because they can take the heat & cold.
You could qualify for a job at Starbucks .:tango_face_grin:

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
I been using 8 O clock for years , They have some new blends just out , One I am currently trying is called Alert , it high caffeine and very dark roast . Another they have added turmeric but I couldn't really tell there was any in it by taste .
Eight O'Clock is good stuff.

There is a canned coffee called Farmer Brothers, never saw beans for it, that is one of the best canned coffees I have ever had.
I got curious and looked, now I am surprised this place does not also sell Eight O'Clock but this is a pretty good deal.

https://koffee-express.com/coffee/farmer-brothers/farmer-brothers-ground-coffee/farmer-brothers-medium-roast-ground-coffee-6-1-lb-bags?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_LbNq6eB3gIVC4NpCh1kIQcKEAkYCyABEgIzR_D_BwE&zenid=rojb4t4lo8k32si66fe9tu2u03

When I buy a lot of bagged coffee, I put the extra in the freezer.
Here is a solution to the a pound is not a pound anymore.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Eight-Oclock-Coffee-100-Colombian-Whole-Bean-2-LB-8-Oz-Bag/691394959?iid=292751282938&chn=ps

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
I drink 8 O'clock nearly all the time (medium roast) because Gevalia is usually light roast where I shop. It's much better than Maxwell House or Folgers.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Eight O'Clock is good stuff.

There is a canned coffee called Farmer Brothers, never saw beans for it, that is one of the best canned coffees I have ever had.
I got curious and looked, now I am surprised this place does not also sell Eight O'Clock but this is a pretty good deal.

https://koffee-express.com/coffee/farmer-brothers/farmer-brothers-ground-coffee/farmer-brothers-medium-roast-ground-coffee-6-1-lb-bags?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_LbNq6eB3gIVC4NpCh1kIQcKEAkYCyABEgIzR_D_BwE&zenid=rojb4t4lo8k32si66fe9tu2u03

When I buy a lot of bagged coffee, I put the extra in the freezer.
Here is a solution to the a pound is not a pound anymore.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Eight-Oclock-Coffee-100-Colombian-Whole-Bean-2-LB-8-Oz-Bag/691394959?iid=292751282938&chn=ps
never thought about ordering coffee off e-bay. think I will look into that. Waffle house use to use a brand named Royal Cup , that I haven't found in supermarkets here. Going to look on e-bay.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
I just bought a jar of Folgers Noir Golden Dusk instant coffee, it was not bad at all as far as instant coffee goes.
It is giving Taster's Choice a run for the money as far as instant coffee goes.
I paid $4.50 at a clearance store for a large jar.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Used to drink folgers dark roast. Now it’s 8 o’clock espresso.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
8 0'clock has been an old standby for some folks, as far back as I can recall. It has been a ubiquitous brand in various supermarkets, over the years, almost always right beside the big coffee.grinder .

I can recall it from just after WW2..but during the war, coffee was under strict rationing, since it was imported, and much of the available coffee was being sent (rightfully), to our troops overseas.

For that reason, there was not the free flow of coffee , or any other commodity, as we have now.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
There are quite a few ways of preparing coffee, so to each of us, our preference.
Let’s see, turkish coffee, it is finely ground coffee and your teeth do the filtering while drinking. Nasty stuff!!
The italians do the espresso style, but also at home they use this steam generator coffee machines, popular also in some latin american markets.
But Austria, wow!!! There is where you go to drink the best coffees in the world, and their pastries, outstanding.
Now, moving to the Americas, let’s check some of the traditional ways in different places.
Honduras. They brew it the sock style, but drink it sweetened with raw sugar (panela).
Guatemala, which is one of the prime producers in the world, mostly use seconds beens because the good ones go to Europe. They brew their coffee two ways, one is the sock style, generally a medium roast. The other way is by putting massive amounts of coffee grounds in a relatively small amount of water to brew a thick concentrate. It is used in the same way as instant coffee. By the way, instant coffee was invented in Guatemala.
Here in the USA, things get more interesting due to the different cultural influxes. For example, it wasn’t until reading this thread that I learned about Cowboy coffee.
Here in Florida I have experienced different ways of brewing according to what is in fashion. The earliest I remember, was the percolator pots. Then came the Mr. Coffee machines, and for a short while, the single cup Mellita filters.
Then came the foo foo brand with good quality coffee beens, burned to death and brewed in the Italian espresso machines.
Meanwhile, the french press started getting popular, and that was a good thing.
Now a days, we got the cartridge machines. Good or bad? I don’t know yet.
In these southern parts of Florida, Cuban coffee is fairly popular. If you try it, beware, it is addictive.
Now comes the time for disclosure:
My grandpa was a coffee buyer for KLM in Guatemala, and part of his job included being a coffee taster.
Growing up with him, he passed me some of his knowledge: How to recognize different types of grains, the intricacies of blending to achieve the right amount of acidity, body and aroma and last, the degree of roasting. I remember him saying that the darker you roast the grains, both good quality and bad quality grains, even out and that quality grains were never to be roasted beyond medium.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Our Walmart recently started stocking Community Coffee. For a commodity type coffee I’ve always loved the stuff. I was fearful Walmart’s influence would deliver a cheap lousy tasting brew.

I still love it. They seem to have stuck to their recipe, and I’m glad.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
There are quite a few ways of preparing coffee, so to each of us, our preference.

Growing up with him, he passed me some of his knowledge: How to recognize different types of grains, the intricacies of blending to achieve the right amount of acidity, body and aroma and last, the degree of roasting. I remember him saying that the darker you roast the grains, both good quality and bad quality grains, even out and that quality grains were never to be roasted beyond medium.
That is interesting about dark roast, I guess that is why I generally pick it as it generally is better flavor to me in average coffee. I am going to try medium roasts of better coffees. I am a big fan of Black Rifle Coffee Co for many reasons...

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
:cool:Very good price.
I have drank pounds of Sumatra Mandheling in my life.

Odd or not, this made me think of the last independent dry coffee, and cigar, seller in town is closing, or closed, thanks to the city "improving" the street. ( Of the two dozen businesses on the street, 3 are still in business the rest are empty buildings.)
I will run over and see if I am too late.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts