Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got tired of the Ruger Sherriff's model (3.75" barrel, birdshead vaquero.) I couldn't find any load that would bring the group size down from the 6" pattern that it printed, and I didn't like the gun well enough to spend money on gunsmithing. I did learn to grip it so that it wouldn't shoot left, though. It's all in the grip, or so I thought.

I traded it, and now find myself with a new Uberti Cattleman with the 4 3/4" barrel. Neat looking gun, it is dimensionally correct, and doesn't lead AT ALL. It's a reproduction of the SAA Colt, I believe.

Anyway, this gun shoots decent groups of around 2" straight out of the box. However, it's groups are located 8" left of center at 25 yards (that's off the paper.) It shoots this way left handed, right handed, off a rest, with a firm or light grip, and from standing. I'm about to give up on fixed-sight single actions and go back to adjustable sight guns.

Does anyone have similar experience with these Uberti reproductions? How did you fix it?

The Blade

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mikey,

Great minds think alike! I called the importer, Navy Arms, today. They were anxious for me to send the gun to them so that they could correct the problem. The man I spoke with piped up and said "it sounds like that gun needs a new barrel."

As I was packing it up for shipment, I noticed that all of the screws holding the frame to the grip were not tight. I'm amazed that I got decent groups out of the gun.

I am going to give it an additional field test tomorrow before I ship the gun off to verify whether the loose screws on the gun affected the point of aim. It's my bet that I'll notice a big difference.

I've never received a gun, NIB, that wasn't tight. I'll check new guns from this day forward, though.

If this doesn't solve the probelm, I'll ship it to them soon. I'm real interested to see the caliber of their customer service. If it's similar to the response that I received over the phone, I'll be pleased.

Thanks for the post.

The Blade

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lloyd,

True, true. However, Navy Arms will do it for free, plus the cost of shipping.

I've gotten a bunch of shooting in lately...what a life! Our company landed a project which involves assessing all of the publicly owned shooting ranges in the state, and it's my job to inspect each of the 16 firing ranges. As an added bonus to our client, I've decided to field test each range for no additional charge. Firing a minimum of 50 rounds per range will amount to 800 rounds fired over the course of the project.

I need more wheel weights!

Overall, the public ranges are very nice. The amount of vandalism at the ranges is cause for concern, though. There are many good, responsible shooters out there that will ultimately pay the price for those few people who shoot the gutters off of the shooting range shelters, who shoot holes through the columns, who destroy the trash barrels, and who generally think that a firearm is a tool for wreaking destruction on other people's property.

In the spirit of continuing the viability of our sport, we must not allow such behavior to continue at our public shooting facilities. It's up to us to stop the vandalism. However, approaching one of these people, who obviously have no regard for property, should be left up to law enforcement officers.

That's a bit off topic, and should be addressed in a thread of it's own. But it's my thoughts at the moment...

The Blade

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later