Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the T3 lite in 338 and know I've blown out a piece of the front scope mount twice. The back mount is also shifting on me so I can't eject my shell and it's also obviously moving my scope. It was put on both times by a gunsmith, so I believe they should have been tight enough. Anyone have this same problem with the Tikka factory mounts on a 338? What would you recommend? I'm going to Alaska in August and time is becoming an issue.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Still time to trade it on a Winchester 70 I've had my 338 since 84 and hunted Alaska since then and have got moose, brown bear, caribou and deer. I've put around 1000 rounds through it with out one thing going wrong ever. If I had to do it over I would make the same choses

·
Registered
641 Posts
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had that same problem when I initially shot my Tikka with Burris rings and bases. Does it look like this?

What I was told by Tikka, and later Warne (the company that I bought NEW stuff from) is that with the power of a 338 Win Mag, there is no reason to EVER use bases on it because they are almost guaranteed to snap one way or the other. He tells me that Tikka has bases installed right into the reciever!! (Look on the top of the reciever, and you will see what I mean - there is a ridge that runs along each side to accept a ring). Warne makes rings that will fit right into that reciever and not even MOVE. I have a few boxes of ammo through my 338 with these on it, and nothing has shifted and will not. The rings are of high quality, and strong as ****. If you want product number, I can go look for you if interested. So..... Now, here is what my mounts look like (without crappy bases):

That set up there is solid as a rock. The only problem I have now is managing this recoil!! I am by no means a recoil puss, but even with the Limbsaver pad on there she HURTS. :D

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
322 Posts
why don't you just use the rings that came with the rifle? They have worked like a charm on my 2 T-3's. I'ts prett;y simple....the more pieces it takes, the more likely problems are to occur. That's probably why Sako designed it that way.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have heard mixed reviews on the Tikka rings. Also, I am going to go out on a limb and say they are shiny silver - Probably not the color anyone is looking for unless they have a silver scope.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tikka

HG,

Thanks for the input, and yes I would be interested in knowing the exact rings you got. I need to make this work with no more set backs. Also, if you're not oppossed to a muzzle break, that along with the Limbsaver made this guns recoil less than my 7mm.

·
Registered
322 Posts
HG, that is a sweet set up you have I must admit. You are right about the silver rings that came with mine. It looks like you have accomplished the same thing as the factory rings do.....clamp right onto the rifle with no bases. That was my logic with the factory set up. There is a noticable reduction in recoil w/ my 7mag with the libsaver pad though.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Sure... I'll head down in a bit and look for the package. Easy to mount, definitely no set backs with these - and they are real high quality rings!!!!!!!!!! I'm honestly tempted to put a muzzle brake on it, the recoil is so damn unbarable for me even with the pad. What kind of brake do you have on yours, and does a smith need to install it?? And how loud is it - extremely, or is it barable?

·
Registered
641 Posts
rstickle Sent you an email. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts