Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what experience you may have had with the range versus barrel length in this size mortar. I see mortars with a can length or slightly less up to about two cans long. I can turn a tube for a coehorn up to about 13" total length but the weight gain is pretty impressive and 80+ pounds is a lot to move around. Any suggestions as to a good length for reasonable charges and expected range? As always bigger is better but the little ones are really cute.

Sav

·
7,060 Posts
I have a beer can mortar (overall length 15", bore length 10.5", weight a lot) and a 2 lb sinker mortar (about 8" overall). The smaller one will launch a 2 lb sinker 600 yards on the same charge the larger one will launch a 1/2 full with concrete beer can 200 yards. The larger one will take a heavier charge but the concrete breaks up. I expect I would get longer ranges with the large one if I used zinc or lead shot.

You kind of have to factor in where you can fire the piece also. Not much value to have 600 yard range but a 100 yard place to fire.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
capperbar said:
I was wondering what experience you may have had with the range versus barrel length in this size mortar. I see mortars with a can length or slightly less up to about two cans long. I can turn a tube for a coehorn up to about 13" total length but the weight gain is pretty impressive and 80+ pounds is a lot to move around. Any suggestions as to a good length for reasonable charges and expected range? As always bigger is better but the little ones are really cute.
Sav
capperbar -

The longer the barrel the greater the range. 2 examples: beercan caliber mortars - one beer can length bore - range: 100-130 meters; the other has about a 24" bore, range: 450 meters.

So for 100 yard range the little one uses much more powder, makes much more noise & smoke for the same bullet.

AND - welcome to the board! Keep the questions coming.
I understand weight - my 4.5 weighs 103 lbs. Going to the surgeon today to see if it's a hernia or a torn/pulled ligament.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts