Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like people's opinions in regards to what they feel would be the best dog breed to handle both upland game and waterfowl hunting. Many thanks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
With my limited knowledge I'd probably go with a Springer spaniel. I have a friend that hunts both with his successfully. I understand that lots of folks use labs for both, but I'd lean towards a Springer because they're probably better all around "house" dogs. Hope that helps.

>>>===> Dave

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Gonna depend on where you live. If the climate is fairly mild I'd get a Springer too. But harsh weather calls for a lab and a shorthair!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey Don, I live in Alaska, Springers handle the harsh weather just fine, labs are pretty good, but shorthairs don't do so well up here...

>>>===> Dave

·
Premium Member
3,517 Posts
My pointing lab hunts everything. Good pheasant dog because of the nose, good quail dog because she points, good duck dog because of genetics and drive, good goose dog because she's big enough to carry them. Then she comes home and sleeps at my feet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Boy did you ever open a door with his subject. I would have to say the most versatile would be the Drahthaar. I have killed Ducks Geese pheasants quail rabbits and tracked wounded deer in the same week with mine. Plus **** hunt and have them chase down the occasional yote and kill it while bird hunting.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Dave said:
Hey Don, I live in Alaska, Springers handle the harsh weather just fine, labs are pretty good, but shorthairs don't do so well up here...

>>>===> Dave
My Springers handled Montana winters well until it came time to bust ice. My Shorthairs handled Alaska well. But for either or those when you throw in waterfowl, I'd go Lab. When the weather turns really bad and there's swimming to do, I gotta go with the dog that should take the worst climate best. I know that Springers and Shorthairs can handle it to a point, I see no reason to put them through it tho.

I might mention that a problem I had with my Springers in Montana was the long hair. They collected ice balls badly between the pads of their feet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
but I'd lean towards a Springer because they're probably better all around "house" dogs. Hope that helps.
:eek: I must have gotten a factory reject then!

Mine spends more time with the vet then me.

- Ear infections
- Allergic reactions in her paws
- due to the reactions she scratches non stop and chews her paws up.

But she is cute:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dave said:
What about an Airedale ? They are excellent hunters.
>>>===> Dave

·
Registered
756 Posts
i will start with i no very little about hunting dogs so this would be my question on this so be nice if possible looking for info anyway here it is does it have to be a full blooded animal like a lab or springer or drather or would something in the things i have read here like a lab and drather mix be a good option or whatever the case may be a mix breed withthe best qualities of each breed. Know i am just curious like i said i know very little i have not got a dog for hunting right now but am considering a dog later on for hunting and was curious any information would be appreciated.

Terry

·
Registered
5 Posts
You have to ask yourself first if you want a pointing breed or a flushing breed.
If its a pointing breed, no question, the Drahthaar. I don't know where you live but in hot weather, the DD does not do heat very well. A Kurzhaar (the equivalent of the DD as compared to a shorthair) would do better in heat but not so good for ice breaking.

As for a flushing breed, I would go with an upland bred lab. They are smaller and more athletic with less musculo-skeletal problems.

There are so many variations within a single breed that you can find what you want that looks how you want it to. Standard poodles can still get the job done on both upland and waterfowl if that turns your crank.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd give a little thought to the American Water Spaniel. I spent alot of years hunting over them, just by a quirk of nature I'm running a GWP now. I'd say if you hunted waterfowl and upland birds an AWS would be a great dog. If it's upland and waterfowl a GWP is a great dog.

AWS

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hunts PLUS (!) she is always happy to take a few minutes out of her busy day to entertain homeless children and refugees. She is "Malleigh"!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am a lab guy myself. However, springers, boykins and other spaniels would be good. Also look into wirehair/ shorthairs. Even a golden qualifies if you find a good one.

·
9,530 Posts
Drahthaar. My last pointing dog was one, way back when there were only a few hundred of them registered in the FDSB. Was also a house pet and great with kids. RIP Gunner ol' boy! :'(

·
Registered
303 Posts
In my teens, my uncle was partial to English Pointers. He had one named "Shot" who was game for whatever eventuated. He just seemed to know what you were interested in. He was great on Bobwhite quail, pointing and retrieving, but if the ambiance of the group was of a certain hue, he'd find and tree you a possum or two right away, and a better squirrel dog, there never was if you took him in the woods. If he thought you liked rabbit, he'd jump one inside shotgun range, but never go off running one. Retrieve doves that you shot as they passed your position sitting under a pecan tree as they flew back and forth to water - you bet. He was gentle and easy with kids but sudden death for water moccasins that had tarried too long when we approached the pond. Came when you called him and sic'd what you sic'd him on. In retrospect, he was kind of a wonder dog; a true "country man's dog. "Ole Shot"..... haven't seen his like since.
;)
stuffit

·
Registered
687 Posts
Here is my new versatile German Shorthair ( she has a lot of Kurzhaar on one side of the pedigree) she is 10 weeks old and shows good instincts already.
The lines are proven "versatile" as they all hunt the waterfowl and upland as well.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts