Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my new kimber 8400 classic , 300 wsm .going to mount the scope. just wondering if i should use loctite on bases and if so what color. and should you put something between them to pervent rust

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I use Ronson or Zippo lighter fluid to clean the screw holes and screws. You can use clear nail polish for a thread locker that will still break loose. Green loctite will hold enough. Some folks use black RTV sealer under the bases and wipe off the excess to keep water getting under the bases.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
zfishingfool said:
I just received my new kimber 8400 classic , 300 wsm .going to mount the scope. just wondering if i should use loctite on bases and if so what color. and should you put something between them to pervent rust
I use blue loctite. (Make sure you don't use RED). Green is for hydraulic lines. :D

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ditto on the blue loctite which can be "broken" if needed using a wrench to remove the screws. Like Redhawk wrote, DO NOT use red, that stuff needs to be heated to break it loose. I would not worry too much about rust between the bases as long as you did not rub your fingers etc on those surfaces. At most I might wipe the bases/rings with a silicone rag. Most of the scope bodies are anodized aluminum so rust is not much of an issue there.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Use blue loctite and make sure to use a good quality allen wrench. It really sucks to round the corners on allen head screws.

Putting something between them to prevent rust is not a good thing. A film of oil actually keeps the metal from touching. Oil creates a wedging effect between to hard surfaces to prevent friction. Over time the thin film of oil will evaporate or dry up hence you will not have the same tension between on the screws you had upon the initial mounting job.

Congrats on a fine firearm tooo.

Take Care,
Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts