Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Murphy's law strikes. My TC Encore 243 Barrel arrived yesterday from Midway. I can't even install it on my frame because the forearm holes are off!!! :-[ Looking down the bore, it was absoluly filthy. It looks like someone shot lead bullets out of it it was so dirty. I will be calling Midway today to see if I can exchange it. If not, I will really be pissed when TC gets the phone call.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Murphys Law and Crappy TC barrels

Hats off to Midway Customer service. They will exchange it without hesitation. Unfortunately they have no more 243 barrels and would have to put it on backorder. So I told them to send me a Bergara 243 barrel. I sure hope this works out, hopefully the folks at Bergara will know how to read a ruler when spacing the forearm screw holes. ::)

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts

Gee, so have all the TC barrels I have seen...

·
Registered
632 Posts

Well, I guess you haven't seen the one in the above post. It couldn't be sub-MOA -- at least not just yet -- as you can't fire the thing...

Yes, some factory TC barrels are terrific shooters. I know as I have a few...

But occasional shoddy workmanship and a lack of quality control have plagued the company for years now.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts

As with the parent company for Bergara. Things made by man can and will include occasional flaws. Unfortunately no one is perfect.

·
Registered
632 Posts

True, but admitting there is a problem is the first step to correcting it. You'd think that the surge of returned barrels for mis-aligned and oversized chambers along with non-concentric crowns would get something changed at TC. But to this day, it hasn't.

Their biggest obstacle and most frequent goof happens to be with the '06 sized chambers in the Encore and the .357 Mag/.44 Mag chambers in the Contender (G2s).

I ma personally aware of at least 6 25-06 barrels that couldn't do better than 5-6" at 100 yards. Other problems abound, but I won't even get into those here.
It looked like TC may have stepped onto the right track with the Pro Hunter barrels as the quality of the first 8 or 10 I checked out was very good -- and all were good shooters.

Then there were 2 in a row that were problematic. With that being said, however, TC's reputation for customer service is stellar and a model for much of the industry.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The Bergara barrel will be here today. I will hopefully be able to take it to the range this weekend. I will report back how it performs

·
Registered
10,335 Posts

Bergara barrels, I have never heard of them. Please educate me about them. Thanks, Byron

·
Registered
51 Posts

http://www.bergarabarrels.com/

I've read some positive reports about them and I know others that have a problem with them being made overseas in Spain.

They also make the barrels for the Optima muzzleloaders and I have heard reports they had issues with the earlier production barrels actually coming apart, but that was all just rumors I heard, as I haven't actually researched that myself so I cannot say for sure if that was fact or not there.

I was considering giving one a try however. The website link goes into a little more detail concerning their production process.

oe

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Update

The Bergara barrel fit perfectly and will shoot .75" 3 shot groups at 100 yds with ease. I am using 87grn Hornady V-Max and IMR 4064. These barrels are good to go.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts

BobinIL said:
Update

The Bergara barrel fit perfectly and will shoot .75" 3 shot groups at 100 yds with ease. I am using 87grn Hornady V-Max and IMR 4064. These barrels are good to go.
It seems to me you used a sample of one to condemn TC barrels and a sample of one to pronounce the Bergara barrels "good to go." I have a problem with that. As there are lots of good TC barrels out there Bergara barrels are relatively new, and there hasn't been enough trial to declare all of them good to do anything.

I am happy yours worked for you. I am not convinced they all will be great. Time will tell that.

·
Registered
632 Posts

Keith-

All he did was REPORT his results. Why would you or anyone "have a problem" (your exact words) with that.

He did not condemn. He did not pull punches. He simply reported what happened. End of story.

I can respect that you don't want a Bergara barrel for yourself. But perhaps you should respect that others may choose a path other than your own.

PS-If his results bother you because he only tried one Bergara barrel, exactly how many Bergaras have YOU owned to base your disdain upon?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts

All he did was REPORT his results. Why would you or anyone "have a problem" (your exact words) with that.
I too have a problem with the poster's pronouncement that Bergara's "barrels are good to go". He clearly implies that all Bergaras will perform - based upon one sample. Re-reading his post, he is doing far more than just making a REPORT of his results (your exact words). He has used his results to make a blanket statement on Bergara barrels as a whole. That is what Keith - and I have - a problem with. This has nothing to do with 'distain' of a particular product - but apparently a few can't understand that. ::)

·
Registered
632 Posts

Lone Star wrote: "...make a blanket statement on Bergara barrels "

Ahh, the double standard rears its ugly head...

I see: it's perfectly OK if the post is anti-Bergara as in past threads, right??? Folks with ZERO experience bashed Bergara, and no one "had a problem" with that. Heck, a couple jumped on the bandwagon to follow the flock.

Yea, maybe he should have left out the "good to go."

Regardless, he reported results, which some folks apparently just do not like.

It reminds me of the kid down the street from my business. One evening, as the family was preparing to enjoy an outdoor meal, he began screaming "I HATE sour cream. I HATE sour cream!" as his mother prepared the condiments for fajtas. He had never tried sour cream, yet he had made up his mind that he hated it -- exactly as some have done with Bergara barrels.

·
Registered
632 Posts

Lone Star wrote: "This has nothing to do with 'distain' of a particular product "

What is "distain?" You have it in quotes (implying reference to my post), but I sure didn't write it. The word you are looking for is "disdain."

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts

I have a problem with a sample of one being used as the test for quality with anything. He did much more than report his results. He blessed a new product ("these BARRELS are good to go") with to small a sample to give that blanket support. Had he said "this barrel is good to go" would have been fine. He is certainly qualified to speak to that.

Further, he condemned all TC barrels with the title to this string "Murphys Law and Crappy TC barrels." Yet he didn't qualify that statement with a list of crappy barrels he used to draw his conclusion. He discussed one. Again, a small a sample to draw such a conclusion.

I always find it sad when someone new writes in to ask about all the things he has heard are necessary to make his new TC shoot well. I wonder how many folks read other people's opinions and rush to spend money "fixing" things before they even know if they are broken. Often the experience these newbies are following is based on a single experience. And as I said before, anything made by man has the potential for error.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I based my opinion of TC barrels due to about 2 weeks of research on this and other forums that indicate there is a serious QC problem with TC rifle barrels. There are numerous posts on numerous forums about people having problems with TC barrels. This is why I was very apprehensive about buying one. See my other threads. After all of this research I decided to try TC anyway and I would have gotten burned if it weren't for Midway's excellent customer service. If I had all day to redo my reseach I would post a reply with links to all of the bad reports. There were good reports as well but it seemed to be about 50/50. I also look at the customer reviews on the Midway site. One thing I really do not understand is where all of the distain for Bergara is coming from on this sight. These barrels hve only been out for about a year and there is very little information about them. I researched these like I did for the TC and found very little information. This is why I gave my follow-up report. I feel like it is doing a service to let people know what your opinion is about a new product to assist them with their decision. Gun accessories do not have consumer reports published like cars or houshold appliances so we have to do the best we can. So if if will make the TC snobs on this board happy I will issue the following statement.

IT IS MY PERSONAL OPINON FROM MY VERY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE THAT I PURCHASED A TC RIFLE BARREL IN 243 THAT WAS CRAPPY. I REPLACED IT WITH A BERGARA BARREL IN 243 THAT IN MY OPINON IS EXCELLENT. MY PARTICULAR BERGARA BARREL IS GOOD TO GO.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts

Thank you for clearing that up.

FYI I don't have any real feelings one way or another about Bergara. I know no one who has one. I just think it is not responsible to base conclusions on so small a sample. The last lines of your last post clearly state what happened. Well done.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts