Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Muskrat Prices

I would think you are probally right. That seems to be the pattern just about every year. Grade might get tougher, but the top prices should stay steady or slightly advance, at least thats what my buyer thinks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Muskrat Prices

What was your average for all rats?

Here- creek rats are $2.65 st through, nose count, put up. River rats slightly higher.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fur buyer

Hey...Im gonna have to get his okay to put his name on the site.I cant imagine him not wanting me to put it on here but you just never know. Ive sold to himfor several years after my last buyer went out of business and Ive never been given a bad feeling about his prices.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Muskrat Prices

I got a straight run price of $3.40 for my muskrats. There were , I think, only 1 kit and 2 other 'smallish' rats in the bunch. I was very pleased with that price. Mink, however, are a different story....

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Muskrat Prices

Hey OldCoon- welcome aboard! This is a good forum- btw, got a mink in a BE set yesterday, will wonders never cease! What were your mink prices? First batch I got $12 st through on males, $7 for females. Just makes you cry doesn't it when a good coon is twice that. They have been hanging at that price 3rd year st now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Muskrat Prices

Thanks, Trappnman. I've sort of been lurking for awhile. Thought it was high time I joined in.

Mink prices were males averaged $9.80 and females averaged $7.34. It is pertty pathetic compared to what they were some years ago but as long as I can sell them I'll keep chasing mink. When you add up the gasoline costs, wear and tear on the vehicle, cost of license and cost of stolen traps and consumed gear it's hard to make a nickle.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Muskrat Prices

There is no doubt that the incidentals pay the bills on a mink line. With 2 rats = a female mink, and a jumbo coon being 2x a male mink, you got to wonder.

I am curious as to do you just run 110s or will you take the easy coon when you see em? You could always run some 220s at the same time. Or are you a purist?

Speaking of purists, you should see the trout creeks that we have arouind here. Honest to God- Lori saw it also- I saw a 24 inch PLUS brookie in shallow water (he was half sticking out) when running mink traps a while back. Unbelievable. I have a 2.75 lb brookie from the same small stream hanging on the wall, but holy smokies was that a fish. Full color.

And talking about fish- my dad was a heck of a fly fisherman. Still use his old rods. He had books of flies, and loved to use the fancy ones-but he always told me "Stevie, you want to catch trout, all you need are 4 flies- a small grey one, a big grey one, a small brown one and a big brown one. If you can't get a trout on one of those, they ain't biting"

Found that to be good advice.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Muskrat Prices

About traps: This past season I only used 110s. I currently have less than 50 foothold traps, most of them #1s. The number of 110s is well into the hundreds, something like over 450. I have nothing larger anymore. In Pennsylvania we are not allowed to use a 220 either on land or water. We may only use a 330[10" X 10"] for beaver and underwater only. No bodygripping traps may be set outsidea watercourse and the Game Commission pretty much lets the interpetation of "watercourse" up to the individual WCOs. Thus far, I have had no problems with the bunny police.

I no longer trap coon, unless one happens to stumble into a foothold if I chose to set one for mink. Last year I had most of the footholds out and I caught about 15 or so coon, all accidentally. So sworry.

I used to be an all around trapper. I used to trap fox, coon, muskrats, mink, opossums and skunks. I even trapped beaver and otter when I was working in Washington DC and living in Virginia. I caught a lot of fur down in Tidewater country. Some of the Virginia counties had screwy trapping laws. Some of them you couldn't trap fox because the tally-ho boys wanted to keep them for themselves. I even got involved with the Virgina Department of Health's Rabies Control Program. While I never worked for them per se, I often accompanied trappers and even filled in for a few days when I took a little leave. I might add Charlie Dobbins worked there.

So I guess you could say I'm a purist today...although I do get sick and tired of all this mink stuff sometimes and yearn to maybe becoming an all around trapper again. LOL These fits come and go.

I'm in Pennsylvania's limestone country here. We have great trout waters. People come from all over to fish our storied waters such as the Letort Spring Run, the Yellow Breeches, Penn's Creek, etc. You can hardly pick up a flyfishing magazine without one of these creeks being mentioned. I can say that I might be setting right in the middle of the best trout fishing in America.

I would agree with your dad's selection except I would add a small black fly to the list. I might add I tie all my own flies as well as some for others.

The Susquhanna River flows right past this town and on it is some of the best small mouth bass fishing around. For you bass fishermen who know of Bob Clouser of Clouser Crayfish or Clouser Diving Minnow fame, he is my neighbor, living just a few hundred yards away.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Muskrat Prices

"I can say that I might be setting right in the middle of the best trout fishing in America."

Hey, that's my line. LOL

BTW- our season (trout) goes from April until late Sept, then opens for C/R Jan 1st until 2 weeks before the keep season. Let me hasten to add I release 99.9 % of my trout, but have no qualms about anyone including myself keeping a mess for supper. Or better yet, try this. Talke a pan, some salt and butter, and get on the streams at bdawn. fish until you catch a couple, and cook em right on the spot. The French say that oncea trout loses its color, it is no longer fit for the pan. Some truth to that.

We have good browns, brookies and stocked rainbows.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Muskrat Prices

For my rats I received $3.00 straight thru for creek rats put up, nose count from Wiebke Fur Company in LaCrosse WI. These were all trapped in November.

·
Registered
10 Posts
muskrat prices

Hey...Im sorry this has taken so long but I was unable to get hold of my buyer until this morning.With all the anti stuff and bad e-mail activity going on I just thought Id be a little cautious(paranoid?)Ant way his name is Les Koeppal and hes in Two Rivers wis. Ive always been satisfied with him and Im sure anyone else would be too.He said hed like to get more beaver and otter and I thought yeah me too!! Hope this helps some.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts