Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Radiator/fan mod and removing one "fin" from the engine side cover panels has done the trick on my heat related problems. I use my ATV to mow the gas well road on property near the house I can hunt so low speeds under a load in high temps is the norm. If the fan is running when I stop I shut the engine off and then let the fan run until it shuts off. The gas boiling in the past was in my carb. I didn't go up one size jet. My mechanic advised against it. I did set the idle speed up a bit (not enough to cause shifting problems) and getting it started in cold temps is much easier. I needed a new battery so I got a Odyssey AGM battery and it has been well worth the money. I got a charger for it and have never needed it even after plowing snow and I keep it in an unheated building.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Glad things have worked out for you. My old Prairie 650 is an 02 with a bit over 60,000 miles on it. Almost all the mods I made, and there were a bunch, were done within the first year and it's been nothing but used ever since. Most of the mods were performance oriented so it runs better than most and has proven to be more than reliable. Still looks better than most also. ;)

I have only one question for you. Why would anyone not want to rejet? Especially on a ride that has a history of overheating. Every mod I made required a jet change. It was just a logical required adjustment.

·
24,004 Posts
dave we had an air cooled Polaris at work the overheated when ran hard and slow. The shop we bought it at found us a fan that bolted on the side of the machine and blew are across the cylinder. I know your water cooled but id be something like this would help your machine too. At least it would help circulate air across your carb and would keep it from boiling.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The gas boiling has been fixed with the new radiator/fan. As for changing the jet I guess "if it works don't fix it". Once is cools down I put my Benz muffler silencer on it and that makes it run a bit richer.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Dave said:
The gas boiling has been fixed with the new radiator/fan. As for changing the jet I guess "if it works don't fix it". Once is cools down I put my Benz muffler silencer on it and that makes it run a bit richer.

Ummm not exactly. The more restrictive exhaust will actually cause the engine to run hotter though. The only reason it may seem to run richer is due to the decrease in power output due to the exhaust restriction. It's not hard to determine rich or lean running but most mechanics (possibly yours) have no idea how to do it and it makes a huge difference in performance and longevity.

Your particular model was dealt a bad hand with design flaws that cause overheating from the get go. Glad you found a suitable work around.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant to post once the ambient temps cool down I put the muffler silencer on. I run the Benz from Fall to early Spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts