Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was inspired by Gustaf Cerderstrom's paintings of the Great Northern War between Sweden and Russia, So I have named him "Gus" and he will bunk in with The Lion's Paw.

Now I am King of my block with the only all season weapon of mass destruction. O.K., so it isn't much of a block (up the block & down the block) but the wheels roll it's 500 pounds quite nicely.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
WOW, Richard it looks great ! 8)
Ol Gus (if hes old enough to call Ol) looks ready for action!

very nice work ,
Gary

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
:) , That is a real beauty! VERY NICE!

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Sir Richard,

Gustave is looking fine in his blue & yellow livery looking forward to seeing is throw some Swedish meat balls.... Um cannon balls down range..... ::)

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
At every Christmas when I was a boy, my family would go to Newington, Connecticut to visit relatives of Swedish extraction. The thing I remember most about those visits was the smell of the Limpa bread that we bought at the Viking Bakery in Hartford. This wonderful smell would pervade the whole house and let everyone present know that Christmas dinner was about to be served.

Richard, thank you for bringing back those wholesome memories with your stunning re-creation of the 1650 Swedish Sledge Cannon, Gus.

Tracy

·
Registered
489 Posts
Very nice!

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd like to thank all of my friends here for their positive comments. I know I had promised Fire & Smoke for today but this is the best I can do, since it is pouring rain.

I like my home cold smoked hot dogs and my freezer supply was depleted so here is Fire & Smoke and 24 dogs for the freezer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
That's neato Rich. Never seen anything like it. When you gonna shoot it?

Does it dispense soft-serve ice cream as well as canon balls?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you owned this 500 pound Swedish sledge cannon, how would you ship it to a buyer? Never having bought or sold a cannon, I was wondering, because I know that others here do. Pick-up only, is an option but for me to say, travel from central NY to maybe Cut Bank Montana or a similar place, would be a shlep. I'm just wondering. It won't fit in a USPS Flat Rate Box. I know full size cannons are shipped from eBay. How would you do it? While we are at it, here is a 600 pounder. They will probably end up in the Watervliet Arsenal Museum. The Commanding Officer of the US Army Ordinance Corp. once spoke up for the Aberdeen Museum, which has since moved.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Here is one way to ship.
36" barrel. 36" wheels
From Texas to a New Jersey golf course.

Zulu

Also, years ago when I ordered a full scale 10 pounder Parrott Rifle from Cannon Limited, they just rolled it on the 18 wheeler delivery truck. I was there at the loading dock here in Houston to pick it up and they didn't know how they were going to unload it off the truck. I walked in with two guys and just rolled it off while they watched.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Z. That's more than I would ever want to do. After I am dead, my wife can sort it out. My daughter already said that she is going to pile them over me, with me in my canoe and burn me like a Viking with them.

Richard aka Crispy Critter

·
Registered
128 Posts
the said:
I was inspired by Gustaf Cerderstrom's paintings of the Great Northern War between Sweden and Russia, So I have named him "Gus" and he will bunk in with The Lion's Paw.

Now I am King of my block with the only all season weapon of mass destruction. O.K., so it isn't much of a block (up the block & down the block) but the wheels roll it's 500 pounds quite nicely.

Now if we only had some snow in upstate NY ! ;-0

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Or find a museum these days either.

My future plans are asunder. Both Watervleit and Aberdeen have dispersed their collections and are permanently closed. I guess my wife and daughter will be stuck with a couple of piles of scrap iron when I join my great grand father and his 7th NY Vol. Union Artillery in the sky?.

The web sites report that the US Army is out of money. Oh well!!! The best laid plans of mice and men, oft times gang a glee..

I am closer to 80 than to 70 but I still have a little time to cogitate. Both Aberdeen and Watervliet wanted the Lion's Paw. Where would they have sent him?

I couldn't believe it when the Higgins Armory Museum in Wooster, Mass. closed a few years back and dispersed the collection.

What do the experts believe that people are more interested in seeing? A museum of Pez containers? Pencil stubs? Bottle caps? Enough people wanted to see artillery. Watervliet had 3,500 visitors per year and Aberdeen was way off the chart with a much higher number.

I've outlived my usefulness.

rrc a.k.a. the Under Achiever

1 - 20 of 23 Posts